Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Chris is offline

Default Rope ratchet

Lobster wrote:
Jay Hendry wrote:

Not sure if this is the best group but does anyone know a UK dealer
for the above - they are at www.roperatchet.com? I remember them, or
something very similar, in Do-It-All, yes before it became Focus DIY,
back in the late 90's but didn't have a use for one then. Now that I
need one none of the DIY chains seem to have them and google doesn't
seem to list any UK sites selling them.

It looks exactly like the ratchet block my daughter has on her sailing
dinghy (except for the big hook at the top) - maybe you need to be
looking in the sailing area?

David

Sailing dinghy ratchets are a bit different - the roperatchet looks like
it is designed to lock off and hold a load(though i don't know that I'd
want to rely on it), a sailing dinghy ratchet block is designed for a
temporary hold only, even if combined with a cleat:

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/Produ...1-c9c2c85f0edd

You should not use it in any application where it is critical that the
load remains locked off.

It all depends on what the OP wants to use it for - if it's not critical
that the load remains locked off then you could use this form of block
and cleat combined with a hook:

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/Produ...1-c9c2c85f0edd

Cheers

Chris