Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Compact Fluorescent and Bathroom Mirror?

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:26:12 -0700, Edward
wrote:

We have a set of lights that basically heat the place up like a
toaster oven. So I was thinking abotu putting a bunch of CFLs in
there.
Can I do that with a fixture like this? Or can't one have too many
CFLs on the same circuit?

http://aycu29.webshots.com/image/195...1867842_rs.jpg

Hi Edward,

Another option is to simply replace the fixture with a two tube 4 ft.
T8 fluorescent strip (approximate cost, $25.00) and build a valance
that is open at the top and bottom so that more light can be
distributed throughout the room.

A fluorescent strip would consume just 60-watts and two good quality
T8 fluorescent tubes would provide upwards of 6,300 lumens of light --
roughly the same amount of light as fifteen or more 40-watt G25
incandescents. For residential bathrooms, I might recommend a T8 lamp
with a 3,000K colour temperature and a CRI (colour rendering index) of
85 or higher (e.g., a GE SPX30). The Philips 32T8/ADV830 is another
excellent choice.

Not only are linear fluorescents less costly to replace, they produce
1.5 to 2.0 times more light, watt for watt, last two to three times
longer than a standard CFL and the quality of the light they provide
is generally superior. They also produce more light at startup and
reach full brightness more quickly.

Best regards,
Paul