Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to add a ground wire to my two wire house?

On Jun 24, 9:09?am, dpb wrote:
w_tom wrote:
On Jun 23, 4:23 pm, dpb wrote:
Your stock answer is simply misinformed at best and way over the top w/
scare and fear tactics at worst. _IF_ you would simply ask the question
and get something other than _pure_ conjecture to go on, that would be
one thing.

Obviously, the OP posted insufficient information which resulted in
so many posted based in valid assumptions. ...

Snip rest of also possibly/probably? invalid assumptions and "not
necessarily" recommendations...

As only one example, I've seen quite a lot of basically 2-wire houses
that _do_ have 3-wire to appliances as that was pretty much standard for
them from "way back" -- or they had conduit w/ ground supplied that way.
There still is really no _urgent_ need for simple lighting and duplex
outlet circuits to have ground as, for the most part, the appliances and
lights that go into them don't have grounding plugs or ground fixtures
on them, anyway...

--

so grounded light fixtures dont matter?

great, so the wire feeding the light shots against the meatal fixture.
light continues to work fine till the day the bulb burns out. when the
homeowner goes to change the bulb they are on a aluminium ladder and
get a nasty shock and perhaps fall off the ladder. or the light above
the kitchen sink does the same thing, excellent ground, that may be
lethal.

my best friends house has K&T home about a 100 years old. much has no
boxes at all, and floor outlets were everywhere. one of his kids
accidently spilled a drink and a floor outlet caught on fire. he
replaced all the floor outlets.

now just try to convince me a 100 year old system is safe... by todays
standards.

rbm remove this. just what exactly do you do for a living?

Incidently I asked the questions that needed to be asked