Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default how to add a ground wire to my two wire house?

wrote:
On Jun 23, 3:37?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Haller, it's just that your replies are senseless, baseless, and incoherent.
Those of us actually in the electrical business, who actually know something
about wiring methods and materials, just want to be sure those posters
seeking valid information, understand that they're not going to get any from
you

wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 23, 1:23?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
The OP asks a simple question and has to weed through all your usual
nonsense. Maybe it's possible the guy has 1960's Romex with no ground, or
even AC cable with non grounding outlets
wrote in message
oups.com...
So your home is 2 wire no ground. you likely have knob and tube
wiring. In K&T the connections arent in boxes, so a bad connection can
cause a fire easily.
You home still have a fuse box? and perhaps 60 amp service? you will
need a main service upgrade. might as well go to 200 amp. this will
upgrade your main home grounds too.
what stared you thinking about this? resale time on home? homeowner
insurance troubles? blowing fuses? your home is likely really
underpowered. too few overloaded circuits maybe like a friends with
all 30 amp fuses in all spots
then there are specific rooms that need more power. seperate circuits
for washer, furnace, dryer, fridge, 2 20 amp GFCI circuits for kitchen
and one for bath.
A good place to start is new main service with all new circuits to
kitchen bath, furnace, and specifi spots that you need more power,
like computer area etc.
doing this will take much of the load off the old circuits, and the
proper size fuse shouldnt blow any more. have any floor outlets? they
are illegal and a real hazard.
Ideally you entire homes electrical system should be replaced.
Now before anyone flames me consider this. your home is what 75 years
or more in age? standards and things change for safety reasons a lot
in a generation. In that many years how many vehicles will a average
person buy? at what cost?
say electrical replacement costs 8 grand, thats only 1/2 the costs of
a new cheap vehicle, increases your safety, adds convenience many more
outlets, increases your homes resale value, may allow you to get
homeowners insurance some companies wouldnt even write new policies
for old wiring.
lots of advantages to doing it right.- Hide quoted text -
its probably more likely he has K&T and besides I did ask why he got
interested in this area.
I think the poster who get most upset about K&T own it themselves and
protest so much in a attempt to validate their its fine dont worry
about it.
Meanwhile all it takes in oine smoldering connection in a wall to
cause a terrible home fire.........
I expected a unhappy response to my post.- Hide quoted text -

if someone is going to all the work to run a gound wire then they
might as well install new romex.

you are the hazard, with replies like just install GFCIs.

while never even asking if the posters main service is properly
grounded and bonded.

Many times in such a old install people over fuse creating a real
hazard. you dont even ask!

Wouldnt it be sad for someone to install GFCIs or run ground lines all
thru home then have fire?

insurance might refuse to pay claim, based on poor workmanship....

I certinally HOPE your not a professional electrician, because you sir
are a danger to everyone you work for.

Haller, we've been over this road before...

Your stock answer is simply misinformed at best and way over the top w/
scare and fear tactics at worst. _IF_ you would simply ask the question
and get something other than _pure_ conjecture to go on, that would be
one thing. The insurance claim(s) have been debunked repeatedly as
being generally true...