Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot Wants $100 to Measure Kitchen

"RicodJour" wrote in message
When businesses are bought and sold, there is often substantial
compensation for "goodwill". Your stepfather had it. It's insurance
against the lean times, and gravy in the fat times. It doesn't come
free, it has to be earned. It can only be earned by building a solid
reputation based on quality work, honesty and sound business
practices. It can't be deposited in a bank, but is often more
valuable than cash. It opens doors, alleviates tension and is good
for the health of all involved. Unfortunately it can't be bottled -
but maybe that's a good thing.

It cannot be handed down either. I don't have his skills. I used to work
with him on occasion, but could never do the fine work he was capable of.
Nor did I study architecture in Vienna as he did. Even if I did, getting
it translated from the brain to the hands is not the same.