Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Home Depot Wants $100 to Measure Kitchen

On Jun 23, 12:58 am, "Scott" wrote:
While I appreciate your comments, to suggest that consumers shouldn't shop
around is ludicrous. Also, to suggest that the person who bids more must be
the better provider is just as bad. As a person soliciting for work, you
are a salesman. To suggest that all sales people should get paid to show
their wares is unbelievable. I suppose when you go car shopping, you just
go and buy from the first dealer you stop at. Of course not! You shop
around to find the best price AND service. I'm not saying I don't believe
that your time is valuable it's just the nature of the beast and you decided
to go into this line of work so you must deal with the occasional window
shopper. By far the best recommendation is word of mouth and no complaints
filed against you at the BBB. I have no reason to believe that you don't do
quality work but I'm sure the scammer ready to rip me off would say his work
is top notch too. Using your logic, if he's more expensive, it must be
true!

Sounds as though friend hasn't decided whether they want to buy some
cabinet boxes to mount in their kitchen or a well designed thought-out
new kichen?
So; to do it 'on the cheap':
Have your friend take measurements; get hold of all the brochures and
go out and buy the cabinets etc.
Have units delivered (or bring them home in the back of your pickup
truck), check for damage, unpack and dispose of packing materials;
promptly return/replace anything not up to par with an identical item.
Install them him/her self. Check the actual units against measurements/
specification. Adapt.
Having or acquiring the right tools for the work; proper screws wall
fasteners, back splash etc. etc. etc. .
Design, draw up and have made any 'special' items, such as end or
corner cabinets. (Or make or modify themselves from a 'standard' unit.
Don't dispose of anything, yet; they may need that piece of leftover
matching panelling!.
Decide whether to reuse existing appliances and whether any wiring/
plumbing alterations will be needed. Do those alterations or contract
them out.
Cope with any of the inevitable small difficulties that will crop up
as installation proceeds. We had to slightly alter one wall; worked
out all right though, actually gave extra depth for an electrical
panel.
Not too hard to do, provided it is a dead simple job. We did just that
almost 40 years ago. Two opposing 8 foot counters, two upper and two
lower cabinets, plus appliances and a later added dishwasher (which
now needs replacement!).
Kitchen still works fine although after bringing up a family and doing
some catering through it for some 30+ years it's looking a bit worn
now!
I'd tackle it again, using standard units as far as possible although
every building is a little different, now in my mid 70s! But being now
retired got lots of time; this time! And time worth money; eh?