Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Home Depot Wants $100 to Measure Kitchen

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 05:18:36 GMT, "Tom G"
wrote:

20 years ago, designed and sold kitchen remodels for Sears. They advertised
free estimates and design. So most people would call us to come out,
measure, and design the kitchen remodel. They expected drawings which they
then took to Home Depot to order the cabinets. We got in the habit of
making up a separate drawing for them that had no cabinet sizes on it and
usually had one or more cabinets that weren't to scale so the Home Depot
couldn't take off our drawings.

That's a good idea and frankly, it's better than deducting two inches
from each carpet measurment.

On the other hand, I recently designed a
kitchen remodel for my mother's basement kitchen. Simple, two walls, open
ended so cabinets didn't have to fit within end walls. I tried to order
cabinets from Home Depot and they flat out refused to order any cabinets
until I had their man come out and measure. I tried to explain my
credentials and the simplicity of the job but no way. It was their way or
hit the road. Menard's had no problem with my measurements. Home Depot
wouldn't order any cabinets even if I gave them the cabinet size numbers and
said "Order It". They would however let me buy the in stock one design
finished or unfinished cabinets they carried.

You know who caused this, of course? Home owner prima donnas and
whiners who measured wrong and then weren't man enough to pay for
their own mistakes.

Hmmm. Pot, kettle, black. I did that once myself. I was 24, and I
measured for my mother's 2 or 3 book shelves and told the lumber yard
a too short length, and found the mistake after they cut, and I let
them cut them again without my paying for the first boards. Which
they I'm sure had to sell at a loss.

I was just visiting from out of town and didn't have a saw to cut them
with. I've regretted this ever since, and I would just buy all 4 or 6
shelves now, and take the short ones home with me when I left.

Tom G