Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Home Depot Wants $100 to Measure Kitchen

On Jun 23, 12:22 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message

While I appreciate your comments, to suggest that consumers shouldn't shop
around is ludicrous. Also, to suggest that the person who bids more must
be the better provider is just as bad. As a person soliciting for work,
you are a salesman. To suggest that all sales people should get paid to
show their wares is unbelievable.

I don't think you understand. There are some contractors that fall into a
different territory altogether. My stepfather was one. He had all the work
he could handle and never did any advertising or selling. People sought him
out and were willing to pay what he asked. There was no price negotiation.
He gave a price and that is what people paid and in all the years of doing
that, I don't recall a single job that was turned down because he was "high
priced". They were willing to pay for his considerable skills. They were
not out getting multiple bids because they knew what they wanted and they
knew who they wanted to do the work. He chose who he wanted to work for and
turned away a lot of work and maintained a 6 to 12 month backlog.

When businesses are bought and sold, there is often substantial
compensation for "goodwill". Your stepfather had it. It's insurance
against the lean times, and gravy in the fat times. It doesn't come
free, it has to be earned. It can only be earned by building a solid
reputation based on quality work, honesty and sound business
practices. It can't be deposited in a bank, but is often more
valuable than cash. It opens doors, alleviates tension and is good
for the health of all involved. Unfortunately it can't be bottled -
but maybe that's a good thing.