Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Home Depot Wants $100 to Measure Kitchen

On Jun 22, 10:58 pm, "Scott" wrote:
While I appreciate your comments, to suggest that consumers shouldn't shop
around is ludicrous. Also, to suggest that the person who bids more must be
the better provider is just as bad. As a person soliciting for work, you
are a salesman. To suggest that all sales people should get paid to show
their wares is unbelievable. I suppose when you go car shopping, you just
go and buy from the first dealer you stop at. Of course not! You shop
around to find the best price AND service. I'm not saying I don't believe
that your time is valuable it's just the nature of the beast and you decided
to go into this line of work so you must deal with the occasional window
shopper. By far the best recommendation is word of mouth and no complaints
filed against you at the BBB. I have no reason to believe that you don't do
quality work but I'm sure the scammer ready to rip me off would say his work
is top notch too. Using your logic, if he's more expensive, it must be
true!

Wow, Scott. I have absolutely no idea where you came up with any of
that. I never said that people shouldn't get bids and I never said
that someone who bids more is a better provider (whatever that is). I
also didn't say that more expensive equals better, although there is a
definite correlation between cheap being shoddy. Read what I wrote
again. Don't read into it, just read it.

A car is a commodity. You'll get the exact same car from any dealer.
The work I do is not a commodity. I am the exclusive worldwide
distributor of me and my work. Who else is supposed to determine how
I run my business? You? Some supposed competitor contractor?

I am also not a salesman. You are, of course, absolutely right that
word of mouth is the most effective advertising. I have a lot of
experience and a lot of work that speaks volumes without me saying a
word. That's why I haven't done any advertising in fifteen years.
I'm not trying to grow into some huge company where I'll be counting
beans and on the phone all day. I've found my niche, I've very happy
with it and see no reason to change.

Since I am not a salesman and have no need to sell myself or my work I
really don't have to deal with window shoppers. I'm sure that you'd
agree that the sooner that two people come to an understanding the
better. I am very clear from the beginning about everything I do.