Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Screw Extractor - how to?

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:39:23 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I have a few screws (flat head) that the flat head slot had worn out, and
since the screw is a finish screw it is recessed deep into the surface so
cutting a new slot with a dremel for example is not practical.

So after a few tries I decided to get a screw extractor. I bought one at
the right size at HD brand name KOBALT.

I used the drill bit and drilled a hole about 1/4" deep. Then I took the
other piece that is called the "plug tab" and put that into the hole and
turned it counterclockwise with a wrench. The plug tab turned but the screw
stays. I then use a hammer and lightly tapped the plug tab deeper into the
hole, turned again and same result.

I thought it's supposed to "grab" the inside surface and turn the screw but
it didn't.

So either I am not using it right, or I did not drill deep enough, or this
is a piece of crap screw extractor and I need to get a good one.

Any idea what I should do?

Mr. Cuse, you've been here long enough to know to give all the
details. Is this a screw in wood or metal?

Personally, I own nothing but crap screw extractors (4 for a dollar)
and I've never gotten them to work, partly because most of the screws
involved were too small even for the smallest extractor, but partly
because they don't bite, I think.

I've found the most success with left handed drill bits, in a drill
that runs CCW. There are only two sources of these bits, Vermont
American are not so expensive in the smaller two sizes, but iirc onely
has them and a third size. Harbor Freight has a set of four for
definitely cheap, even at full price. I think when I first saw them
they were half price, so that was even cheaper. I have used the HF
drills zero or one time, and so far so good.

The advantage, especially in wood, is that one can use a small size
that won't enlarge the hole, and the constant CCW spinning might also
unscrew the screw. If not, one can switch to bigger bit that will
drill out all but a trace of the threads, and then the screw almost
certainly comes out.

MC