Posted to alt.home.repair
Madx Madx is offline

Default Home Depot Wants $100 to Measure Kitchen

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 22, 7:39 pm, Brent Bolin wrote:
On Jun 22, 5:27 pm, "ScottO" wrote:

My friend is in the market for a kitchen remodel. He says Home Depot
wants
$100.00 to just come out and measure. I've never heard of this before.
Is
this common?

Just did this. The money is refunded/applied to your order.

Which is pretty standard. I started charging for estimates a long
time ago. Same deal. You sign up, you get a refund. Cuts down on
the tire kickers. It also lets people know that you value your time,
and you expect them to do the same.

So then a person with a remodel job would have to pay $300-500 up front to
get 3 - 5 bids and then only $100 would be credited back. Seems like quite
a racket. Why even be the low bid. You could make a living just going out
on estimates - just give an outrageous bid. I will never pay for a quote.
It's highway robbery.