Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Shoppa Tim Shoppa is offline

Default Preprimed trim - did I do something wrong?

On Jun 21, 1:37 pm, Joe wrote:
Did I do something wrong 5 or 7 years ago by using oil-based paint
over the preprimed casing?

No, the factory applied primer was some very cheap stuff.

Could be. I remember worrying 5 or 7 years ago that maybe I wasn't
supposed to put oil-based topcoats over the maybe-latex primer from
the factory.

Or is it just that 5 or 7 years later it's time to re-prepare
(scraping and sanding as necessary) and re-paint anyway?

That is true in cases where the finish takes a lot of abuse from sun
and weather.

The places where it's peeling are where *both* there's some fine
detail in the casing AND where there's abuse from sun and weather.

What's sad is that I used the pre-primed casing especially where there
was lots of abuse from sun and weather, with some thought that it
would be better than what I could do in terms of putting primer over
bare wood. Maybe I was just naive.

Tim.