Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preprimed trim - did I do something wrong?

I put preprimed exterior casing around several of my windows and doors
several years ago. I topped it off with oil-based exterior paint.

At the same time, I put some new trim wood (not casing) on the
outside, used an oil-based primer, and an oil-based topcoat.

Now, 5 or 7 years later, the wood that wasn't preprimed is in fine
condition. But in some cases the casing that was preprimed is starting
to peel. And it's not the topcoat peeling off the primer.

Did I do something wrong 5 or 7 years ago by using oil-based paint
over the preprimed casing?

Or is it just that 5 or 7 years later it's time to re-prepare
(scraping and sanding as necessary) and re-paint anyway?

Tim.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Tim Shoppa wrote:
I put preprimed exterior casing around several of my windows and doors
several years ago. I topped it off with oil-based exterior paint.

At the same time, I put some new trim wood (not casing) on the
outside, used an oil-based primer, and an oil-based topcoat.

Now, 5 or 7 years later, the wood that wasn't preprimed is in fine
condition. But in some cases the casing that was preprimed is starting
to peel. And it's not the topcoat peeling off the primer.

Did I do something wrong 5 or 7 years ago by using oil-based paint
over the preprimed casing?

No, the factory applied primer was some very cheap stuff.

Or is it just that 5 or 7 years later it's time to re-prepare
(scraping and sanding as necessary) and re-paint anyway?

That is true in cases where the finish takes a lot of abuse from sun
and weather. Average conditions may see a paint job last a dozen
years. YMMV, of course. Check Consumer Reports for articles over the
years on paints and testing...hughly informative.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Shoppa wrote on 21 Jun 2007 in group
alt.home.repair:

I put preprimed exterior casing around several of my windows and doors
several years ago. I topped it off with oil-based exterior paint.

At the same time, I put some new trim wood (not casing) on the
outside, used an oil-based primer, and an oil-based topcoat.

Now, 5 or 7 years later, the wood that wasn't preprimed is in fine
condition. But in some cases the casing that was preprimed is starting
to peel. And it's not the topcoat peeling off the primer.

Did I do something wrong 5 or 7 years ago by using oil-based paint
over the preprimed casing?

Or is it just that 5 or 7 years later it's time to re-prepare
(scraping and sanding as necessary) and re-paint anyway?

I remember asking a professional painter once about the difference between
low-end and high-end paint. He said that with low-end paint, you'll need
to repaint in about five to seven years. With high-end paint, you'll need
to repaint in about five to seven years.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 1:37 pm, Joe wrote:
Did I do something wrong 5 or 7 years ago by using oil-based paint
over the preprimed casing?

No, the factory applied primer was some very cheap stuff.

Could be. I remember worrying 5 or 7 years ago that maybe I wasn't
supposed to put oil-based topcoats over the maybe-latex primer from
the factory.

Or is it just that 5 or 7 years later it's time to re-prepare
(scraping and sanding as necessary) and re-paint anyway?

That is true in cases where the finish takes a lot of abuse from sun
and weather.

The places where it's peeling are where *both* there's some fine
detail in the casing AND where there's abuse from sun and weather.

What's sad is that I used the pre-primed casing especially where there
was lots of abuse from sun and weather, with some thought that it
would be better than what I could do in terms of putting primer over
bare wood. Maybe I was just naive.

Tim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 1:40 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

:-) Maybe!

7 years ago what I was doing was replacing wood with water and termite
damage.

What I'm doing this summer is more general (but of course where it
gets wetter or more sun I have to spend more effort preparing).

I think I can tell the difference between cheap and expensive paint
when I'm applying it myself. The expensive stuff generally seems to
spread and flow better. But 7 years later, it might indeed be hard to
tell!

And I can't hardly buy oil-based topcoat paint anymore. I'm not going
to say it's impossible but I cannot buy more than a quart at a time
due to legal restrictions. I don't know if these restrictions exist
everywhere or just where I am (Maryland). The good latex stuff today
seems better than the latex of 20 years ago, I know.

Tim.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Tim Shoppa wrote:
I put preprimed exterior casing around several of my windows and doors
several years ago. I topped it off with oil-based exterior paint.

At the same time, I put some new trim wood (not casing) on the
outside, used an oil-based primer, and an oil-based topcoat.

Now, 5 or 7 years later, the wood that wasn't preprimed is in fine
condition. But in some cases the casing that was preprimed is starting
to peel. And it's not the topcoat peeling off the primer.

Did I do something wrong 5 or 7 years ago by using oil-based paint
over the preprimed casing?

How are we supposed to know???

Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure there was information available from the
manufacturer on whether the primer was compatible w/ latex, oil, or
both, but I surely can't tell from here and now...

In general, it was most likely a dual-use primer but my experience has
been that the prime coat on most of that is _very_ thin and doesn't hold
up any better than unprimed prep'ed well and primed on site.

If it needs repainting, it needs repainting...not much more can be said.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 1:40 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

Kidding aside, high-end paint DOES have some advantages, like
spreadability. I use a lot of different paints, because my clients
usually want to buy it themselves or match an old can. I just haven't
formed a clear opinion whether the advantages are worth the extra cost.
Maybe it's my technique, but I can't seem to get brushmark-free finishes
with ANY kind of paint, even using Floetrol.

I'm in Texas, and there are no limits on purchase quantities of oil-
based paints, but the last gallon I bought to do crown moulding poured
out of the can in one big glob. I had to thin it to death before it
would go on smoothly. The EPA has made the manufactures take the VOCs
(Volatile Organic Compounds / thinner) out to improve air quality, so
now the user has to put them back in, thus breaking even on air quality.
On the plus side, I got two gallons of paint in a one-gallon can.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message
oups.com...
I put preprimed exterior casing around several of my windows and doors
several years ago. I topped it off with oil-based exterior paint.

At the same time, I put some new trim wood (not casing) on the
outside, used an oil-based primer, and an oil-based topcoat.

Now, 5 or 7 years later, the wood that wasn't preprimed is in fine
condition. But in some cases the casing that was preprimed is starting
to peel. And it's not the topcoat peeling off the primer.

Did I do something wrong 5 or 7 years ago by using oil-based paint
over the preprimed casing?

Or is it just that 5 or 7 years later it's time to re-prepare
(scraping and sanding as necessary) and re-paint anyway?

Tim.

They often use cheap, sub-standard primer. Your paint is as only good as
the primer.
I had the same thing happen on some new exterior doors I installed. They
doors and frames
came pre-primed. I painted over them, and they were peeling within a year.
I had to scrape and re-do
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm getting ready to put up some preprimed trim myself. After reading this
thread, I'm tempted to re-prime. Actually, since I have to prime the walls
anyway, it'll probably be easier to reprime than not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 3:34 pm, "J.A. Michel" wrote:
"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

them.- Hide quoted text -

You dont know what was put on the pre primed wood, maybe it was
interior latex. I would never use pre primed on exterior.

What do I really need to cut trim? [email protected] Woodworking 5 June 25th 06 05:53 AM
Looking for trim lemmy UK diy 4 May 5th 06 09:04 AM
Using a trim router bit on 1x2x8 oak trim? N Hurst Woodworking 10 March 1st 06 06:51 PM
Will a flush trim bit plow thru or trim one edge only? bent Woodworking 4 March 1st 06 11:53 AM
Trim saw Javier Henderson Woodworking 3 January 4th 06 12:56 PM