Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Do cellular shades really provide better insulation than regular blinds?

Warning that insulating blinds in a winter climate will keep some of the
heat in but they will allow the glass to cool down to below the dew point.
The blinds will not stop moisture in the air from migrating to the glass and
condensing. The result can be water or ice on the glass and water below the
window, in the wall and on the floor resulting in damage and/or moulds and
possibly some rot --- ask me how I know.

"Donna" wrote in message

"Jason" wrote in message
Hello,

I need to buy some new window shades or blinds for my bedroom. I'm
considering cellular and faux wood. All the web sites claim that the
cellular shades insulate much better than regular type blinds.

Does anyone have any real experience with the cellular shades or
knowledge
of them? Thanks,

I have insulated double honeycomb cellular shades installed in houses in
Florida and Massachusetts. In both houses, there was a noticeable
difference in the temperature once the shades were installed. The double
honeycomb design keeps the AC in in Florida, and the cold out, in
Massachusetts. So yes, spend the money on good, insulated honeycomb
shades with the highest e-value rating you can find. Cheap honeycomb
shades that aren't rated for insulation value (without a posted e value)
are probably nothing more than decorative, though.

HTH,

Donna