Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do cellular shades really provide better insulation than regular blinds?

Hello,

I need to buy some new window shades or blinds for my bedroom. I'm
considering cellular and faux wood. All the web sites claim that the
cellular shades insulate much better than regular type blinds.

Does anyone have any real experience with the cellular shades or knowledge
of them? Thanks,

Jason
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jason" wrote in message
Hello,

I need to buy some new window shades or blinds for my bedroom. I'm
considering cellular and faux wood. All the web sites claim that the
cellular shades insulate much better than regular type blinds.

Does anyone have any real experience with the cellular shades or knowledge
of them? Thanks,

I have insulated double honeycomb cellular shades installed in houses in
Florida and Massachusetts. In both houses, there was a noticeable
difference in the temperature once the shades were installed. The double
honeycomb design keeps the AC in in Florida, and the cold out, in
Massachusetts. So yes, spend the money on good, insulated honeycomb shades
with the highest e-value rating you can find. Cheap honeycomb shades that
aren't rated for insulation value (without a posted e value) are probably
nothing more than decorative, though.

HTH,

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Donna" wrote in message

So yes, spend the money on good, insulated honeycomb shades with the
highest e-value rating you can find.

Or R-value, even.

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

Absolutely. I have outfitted all of my windows and sliders with the
double-cell honeycomb shades and the difference is tremendous. And (if
you can stomach shopping at the Borg), the cost for a set of Bali
insulating shades is barely more than some decent wood/faux-wood
blinds. They've paid for themselves in heating and cooling cost
savings many times over.

On Jun 19, 9:45 pm, Jason wrote:
Hello,

I need to buy some new window shades or blinds for my bedroom. I'm
considering cellular and faux wood. All the web sites claim that the
cellular shades insulate much better than regular type blinds.

Does anyone have any real experience with the cellular shades or knowledge
of them? Thanks,

Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Warning that insulating blinds in a winter climate will keep some of the
heat in but they will allow the glass to cool down to below the dew point.
The blinds will not stop moisture in the air from migrating to the glass and
condensing. The result can be water or ice on the glass and water below the
window, in the wall and on the floor resulting in damage and/or moulds and
possibly some rot --- ask me how I know.

"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:
Warning that insulating blinds in a winter climate will keep some of
the heat in but they will allow the glass to cool down to below the
dew point. The blinds will not stop moisture in the air from
migrating to the glass and condensing. The result can be water or ice
on the glass and water below the window, in the wall and on the floor
resulting in damage and/or moulds and possibly some rot...

Yup. And in the summer, you get a far better result from preventing the sun
from hitting the glass and creating the radiant heat load in the first
place.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have insulated double honeycomb cellular shades installed in houses
in Florida and Massachusetts. In both houses, there was a noticeable
difference in the temperature once the shades were installed. The
double honeycomb design keeps the AC in in Florida, and the cold out,
in Massachusetts. So yes, spend the money on good, insulated
honeycomb shades with the highest e-value rating you can find. Cheap
honeycomb shades that aren't rated for insulation value (without a
posted e value) are probably nothing more than decorative, though.

HTH,

Donna

Hi Donna,

Thanks for your response. What did you have in the windows before the
cellular shades?

Jason
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew Duane wrote in
oups.com:

Absolutely. I have outfitted all of my windows and sliders with the
double-cell honeycomb shades and the difference is tremendous. And (if
you can stomach shopping at the Borg), the cost for a set of Bali
insulating shades is barely more than some decent wood/faux-wood
blinds. They've paid for themselves in heating and cooling cost
savings many times over.

Thanks,

What did you have in your windows before the cellular shades?

Thanks,

Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jason" wrote in message
I have insulated double honeycomb cellular shades installed in houses
in Florida and Massachusetts. In both houses, there was a noticeable
difference in the temperature once the shades were installed. The
double honeycomb design keeps the AC in in Florida, and the cold out,
in Massachusetts. So yes, spend the money on good, insulated
honeycomb shades with the highest e-value rating you can find. Cheap
honeycomb shades that aren't rated for insulation value (without a
posted e value) are probably nothing more than decorative, though.

HTH,

Donna

Hi Donna,

Thanks for your response. What did you have in the windows before the
cellular shades?

Ummm... let me think. In Florida, we had roll-down shades and sheers.
In Massachusetts we had those narrow vinyl miniblinds, mostly. If it
helps, both houses have mid-range double-paned high r-value windows, so the
energy loss wasn't remarkable to begin with. But adding the cellular
shades definitely made a difference in both cases. For both houses, we
went through empire carpets for the blinds. You won't save any money that
way, but they do a nice job of installing, and the shades that they sell are
excellent quality (hunter douglas). The largest shade that we had made
for the 8x10 slider in the Florida house is now going on seven years (three
years of use by tenants, no less) and has held up beautifully. Not a single
problem. So I have to recommend Hunter Douglass.

HTH,

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Donna" wrote in message

Thanks for your response. What did you have in the windows before the
cellular shades?

Oh, I forgot - in the living room in Mass we also had those wooden
half-blinds. They didn't do much to keep out the cold (they were half
blinds) and they were a pain in the ass to get all the dust out of every
little ridge and blind. I used to like them, before I had to dust them
regularly. They are pretty, however.

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:45:30 GMT, Jason wrote:

Hello,

I need to buy some new window shades or blinds for my bedroom. I'm
considering cellular and faux wood. All the web sites claim that the
cellular shades insulate much better than regular type blinds.

Does anyone have any real experience with the cellular shades or knowledge
of them? Thanks,

Jason

just put 'em in here in texas...outside temps in the 90's...

made a HELLUVA difference in the front bedroom...before we put the
shades in, it was very warm even with AC on.

now it's very, very comfortable. computer sits near front window and
was difficult to use because of the heat. now i have no problem at
all.

they definitely work