Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default dehumidifiers

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:11:17 -0700, carneyke
wrote:

I have a Sears dehumifier that is 20 years old, it had the fan go once
($100 fan). The problem I see with drawing hot dry air from an attic
is, it would make the basement hot. I enjoy my cool / semi dry
basement because of the dehumifier. I can't see desicant doing the job
a dehumifier does..... It may work but I doubt it would be an easy
install.

My current dehumidifier is well over 20 years old - mabee even 30. The
fan went bad a few years ago and I got one at a surplus shop for $5.
I would never do without one here in Southern Ontario in the summer.

We use one in the office too, next to the copier, to prevent the paper
from getting "soggy" and jamming all the time. Threw out a 30 year old
one that was getting noisy again last fall, now I need to get another
one.