Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Terminating an alarm company contract early

George wrote:

jJim McLaughlin wrote:

George wrote:

But what did the company do wrong? He didn't pay for the alarm up
front (thats the "all this for $99 commercial") so the deal is that
he has to pay for the deferred installation cost over the 3 year
contract period.

Please read the OP's posts before you post.

The alarm system was already installed by th property
owner BEFORE the OP, as a renter, moved in.

Wasn't anything to "pay for " "up front".
The $"$99.00" come on never applied in this case.

Facts matter.

I did, the OP said he was 15 months into a 3 year alarm contract and
wanted to not pay to terminate the contract. He mentioned nothing else.

You're not too bright, are you?

May 19, 5:19 PM, Dan posted i
There was no installation. The system/their yard signs/window

stickers were
present in the house when we signed the lease. I'm assuming the

landlord,
who had lived in the house prior to renting it, had it installed.

There was
no mention of a "break" for signing a 3 year contract, or of any

alternate
time arrangement, in fact there was no mention of the term at all either
when I called to initiate the service, or when the guy came out to

"test it"
& get me to sign, even when I told him we were renting & looking to

buy in
the near future. Obviously he knew, but said nothing. I assumed it was
month to month. There is no mention of any term on the front of the
contract, it only appears on the back, which in retrospect I should have
taken 45 minutes to read (all 4 legal-size, fine-print boiler plate-ese
pages of it) while the "technician" stood there twiddling his thumbs.

This
was my 1st experience with an alarm company, had I known what I know

now, I
would have done things differently. I assumed it was like any other
"utility", cable, electric, telephone, gas, etc., maybe you had an
activation charge, but after that you paid monthly for as long as you

used
the service & when you were done, you were done. I'm sure all the

arm-chair
know-it-alls will claim they ALLLLLLWAYS read all the boiler plate,
regardless of how long & regardless of who's waiting but most people

don't,
a fact the businesses rely on. I have an e-mail in to the landlord
inquiring if the new tenants have signed with them. For all I know, the
people before us are still paying for an early termination, the present
tenants are paying for current service, and they expect me to pay

until 2009
as well. Is this legal? Well I'm sure their army of attorneys has

assured
that it is. Whether it's right is another question.
n this thread: