Posted to misc.consumers.house
Sandra Loosemore Sandra Loosemore is offline

Default Do cellular shades really provide better insulation than regular blinds?

Jason writes:

I need to buy some new window shades or blinds for my bedroom. I'm
considering cellular and faux wood. All the web sites claim that the
cellular shades insulate much better than regular type blinds.

Does anyone have any real experience with the cellular shades or knowledge
of them? Thanks,

I definitely noticed a difference on cold nights in the winter after I
installed cellular shades on the skylights in my bedroom. I went for
the light-filtering ones so the room is still nice and bright during
the day even with the shades closed.

The main limitation of cellular shades for me is the cat factor. :-(
I tried them on a window in another room and the cats did a pretty
good job of shredding the bottom part, plus it got hairy and dirty
where the cats were rubbing on it while sitting on the windowsill.
Metal and plastic blinds also don't really hold up to cat abuse, but
wood blinds seem to be doing OK so far.

-Sandra the cynic