Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Do cellular shades really provide better insulation than regular blinds?

Hello,

I need to buy some new window shades or blinds for my bedroom. I'm
considering cellular and faux wood. All the web sites claim that the
cellular shades insulate much better than regular type blinds.

Does anyone have any real experience with the cellular shades or knowledge
of them? Thanks,

Jason
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Jason wrote:

Does anyone have any real experience with the cellular shades or knowledge
of them? Thanks,

Anyone who thinks cellular shades are going to provide any meaningful insulation
on a window is serious mistaken...

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Jason wrote:
Hello,

I need to buy some new window shades or blinds for my bedroom. I'm
considering cellular and faux wood. All the web sites claim that the
cellular shades insulate much better than regular type blinds.

Depending on what you mean by "much better," yeah, they do a better job.
We have leaky windows, and the inside-munt cellular shades we used for
years until between the cats and the dogs they ended up ruined, it
blocked leaks really well.

But wood shades also insulate well.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Jason writes:

I need to buy some new window shades or blinds for my bedroom. I'm
considering cellular and faux wood. All the web sites claim that the
cellular shades insulate much better than regular type blinds.

Does anyone have any real experience with the cellular shades or knowledge
of them? Thanks,

I definitely noticed a difference on cold nights in the winter after I
installed cellular shades on the skylights in my bedroom. I went for
the light-filtering ones so the room is still nice and bright during
the day even with the shades closed.

The main limitation of cellular shades for me is the cat factor. :-(
I tried them on a window in another room and the cats did a pretty
good job of shredding the bottom part, plus it got hairy and dirty
where the cats were rubbing on it while sitting on the windowsill.
Metal and plastic blinds also don't really hold up to cat abuse, but
wood blinds seem to be doing OK so far.

-Sandra the cynic

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Sandra Loosemore wrote:

The main limitation of cellular shades for me is the cat factor. :-(
I tried them on a window in another room and the cats did a pretty
good job of shredding the bottom part, plus it got hairy and dirty
where the cats were rubbing on it while sitting on the windowsill.
Metal and plastic blinds also don't really hold up to cat abuse, but
wood blinds seem to be doing OK so far.

Had the same problem!

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jun 19, 6:45 pm, Jason wrote:
Hello,

I need to buy some new window shades or blinds for my bedroom. I'm
considering cellular and faux wood. All the web sites claim that the
cellular shades insulate much better than regular type blinds.

Does anyone have any real experience with the cellular shades or knowledge
of them? Thanks,

Jason

We have the cellular shades on all of our windows, in Phoenix.
I haven't run any numbers-based experiments, but when the shades are
down in the daytime, the inside glass is very warm. At the same time,
the (one or two) windows where the shades are partly up have glass
that is much? cooler. This indicates that there is some heat going to
the room (or coolth going to the window, take your pick). So they do
something but I can't say how much.
In our case, the shades are in the window casement, not out beyond the
plane of the wall.
When I installed them, I made them fit reasonably snugly against the
window casement sides. This helped reduce drafts.
One thing I would do differently: I installed them close to the
glass. Next time, I would install them further away, so that the
latch doesn't interfere with the raising/lowering of the shades.