Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Terminating an alarm company contract early

George wrote:
dpb wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Dan wrote:
We recently moved from a rental house in the Seattle area where we
had Protection One alarm service. We were approximately 15 months
into the 3 year contract. They are billing us for the remainder of
the term, nearly $700. Needless to say, I would prefer not to pay
for service we will not be using. Has anyone had any experience
terminating such a contract early, particularly with Protection One?

I have no such experience; however, I know that similar contracts -
those calling for a service to be rendered in the future - have not
been upheld when the service cannot be provided for any reason...you
dying, you moving...

My understanding has been those have been for service, not
cancellation charges. I still think it depends on the terms of the
contract and his best bet is to ask either local legal advice or his
State AG's office if there's an out for these types of agreements...

--

Why would the AG be interested?

Individually, he isn't -- the point is whether the AG's _office_ has had
enough complaints there's been a general action or ruling that makes
such cancellation clauses illegitimate in OP's state.