Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default How to flatten hardboard..?

Adrian wrote:
Hi Cic

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:57:52 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:31:03 +0100, Adrian wrote:

HI Cic

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:43:51 GMT, Cicero wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:04:20 +0100, Adrian wrote:

HI All

I'm looking for ways to flatten, and keep flattened, the interior
hardboard-and-vinyl panels on my recently-acquired '64 Morris
Traveller.

At some stage in the past the old girl's let in rainwater, and some of
the interior panels have buckled. The particularly bad areas are along
the top of the doors, just under the window seal - where the panel is
standing a one to two cm away from the door in some places.

Rather than replace the whole lot (I think they're probably original) -
I was wondering about ways of removing the panels and clamping them
flat, to permanantly remove the 'wavyness'...

Should I be thinking about 'steaming' the panel, or maybe even using
some of that 'wood hardener' to stiffen the panel once it's clamped..?

Anybody done this - or is it a waste of time ??

Many thanks
Adrian
==================================
If you're prepared to wait a bit you can use two sheets of 18mm chipboard
(6' x 2' for weight).
That's a thought..

Dampen the panels with a solution of water and Dettol (to prevent mould
growth)
ah - I see you've been there before g

, cover with polythene sheet and place between the chipboard sheets. Lay
flat and add extra weight if available. Inspect after a few days.
OK

If the hardboard has delaminated forget it.
As I said elsewhere - once I get the widget for removing the trim panels
safely I'll take a look at the state of the hardboard and take it from
there.

Tanks for the advice
Adrian

==================================
Just a final thought. It's not actually hardboard. It's called 'fibre
board' so if you're shopping for replacements that's the name to look for.
It's more flexible than hardboard. Early Minis used it for door panels
without any covering.

I sort of knew that g - but couldn't think of the right name...
Thanks !

Adrian

The "fibre board" I've seen around is is used for notice boards etc.
Takes a drawing pin easily but too soft for much else.
Oil tempered hardboard stays flat but is quite a lot dearer than the
standard stuff