Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Williams Tony Williams is offline

Default Land drainage

In article ,
Bill wrote:

does any one here have any experience of surface water
disposal and pipes etc? My parents, elderly, have been approached
by a property developer asking permission to run a pipe across
their land from a new development of 4 houses to carry surface
water run off. The alternative is a soak away.

[snip]

My instinct would be to have nothing to do with it,
or him. Let him build his soakaways on his own land.

There is a very boggy area near to the stream where the out
flow of a number of septic tanks joins the stream, this has been
caused because the pipe carrying it stops about 100 feet short of
the stream. Guy who laid pipe stopped at this point for some
unknown reason, it was 50 years ago.

I wonder if the chap was trying to create a reedbed?
Reedbeds do have some respectability now. Might be
worth some research on plantings to improve it.

--
Tony Williams.