Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default ac install question

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:59:07 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

dkhedmo wrote:

We're having ac installed in a couple of days. I mentioned this to the
plumber while he was hear checking the pump which pumps our
kitchen/utility room drain water up through the attic then down to where
it exits the house because of the pipe under the slab having rotted out
just before we bought the house.

Anyway, all the ac guys who came to give me estimates talked about
draining something from the ac unit into either the laundry tub in the

condensate, water that condenses from the air when the air is cooled.
It's pretty pure water, like rain, with no dirty atmosphere to fall
through.

utility room, which then drains into aforementioned pump, or tapping
directly into the pump. (Furnace/pump/laundy tub all within arm's reach
of each other in utility room.)The plumber would prefer they drain it
into the laundry tub, but said that they're not supposed to drain it
into the sewer at all, and that they should drill a hole into the slab
and put the hose into that.

I know nothing, but is the drain in the slab supposed to fit tightly
into the hole? If they drill a hole, water can go in both directions,
but if it is in tightly, I guess that is not a problem.

I guess if he ran it fat a slight slope from the evaporator tray to
the wall, it would be below ground level at that point -- or would it
be? -- so that won't work.

Mine goes into my sump pump sump and the sumnp pump pumps it up to the
ceiling, higher than the ground outside, and then into a big plactic
pipe outside and under the lawn to the edge of a hill.

I'm always willing to learn something new, and I can't think of a reason
why your plumber says they're not supposed to drain it into a sewer.

If you drain it into the laundry tub, where's it going to end up, on Mars?

Whoops, maybe I just thought of a reason. Perhaps they worry that if it
has its own trap that trap could dry out over the winter season and let
sewer gas come out into the house?

If it drains into the tub, there is only one trap.

Could you ask your plumber for an explanation for his remarks?

Of course, but will he answer?

Jeff