Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Bill is offline

Default Land drainage

In message , AT
writes

If the watercourse is a stream then Rick is correct, the developer would
likely require a "consent to discharge" from the EA. If you parents live in
a flood area then the stream may well be a drainage ditch if the banks are
built up, in which case it would likely be managed by an Internal Drainage
Board. In such a case, consent would be required from the IDB, in addition
to a 9m easement from the bank top edge plus access to the easement for
maintenance. However, it doesn't sound as if that is the case here.

Definitely not a flood area.

The
effectiveness of a soakaway would depend on the percolation characteristics
of the soil.

We were worried initially by the development as some of the land is
reclaimed. There was a quite steep slope going down 50 feet or so that
was built out with soil etc. from a power station site about 45 years
ago. Although it has not moved recently I would not fancy a house built
on it. Apparently the developer has plans to put some piles in this area
to build on. Anyway one thought that I have is that knowing this they do
not want to put any more water into the ground than they have to in case
it causes it to move.

If there are badgers living near where the pipe would be laid then the
developer may require an Environmetal Impact Assessment to be carried out.

The badgers are the other side of a small valley a couple of 100 yds
away. Although they will know what is going on it is not near their set.
There are only a very few people, close family who are aware that they
are there as we prefer to keep it quiet, there are some out there who
seem to dislike them. An interesting thought though.

Thanks AT for your comments.

AT

--
Bill