Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Bill is offline

Default Land drainage

In message . com, Rick
writes
My expereince of this is from the end of the devloper, some things to
think about.

Perfect.

Your parents will need a solicitor to represent them, the 1st thing is
to have his bill paid by the devloper, and then have the solicitor
negoiate the deal.
There are issues of maintance of the pipe in future
to consider, and the land being devalued as you can't build over the
pipe. You make like to get an advisor to work out the ammount to
charge, again the devloper should pay this bill. So even if nting
happens the devloper may have 2 bills to pay.

We had considered the maintenance and assumed some form of right of
access for the developer/home owners, this I presume would be written
into the land registry details on my parents home and those of the new
home owners too? As for devaluation of the land we are lucky to some
extent that it is very unlikely, impossible, that it will ever be built
on or developed as it is totally inaccessible and is beside a railway
embankment so is really only of use to the wildlife that lives there.

I like the idea of the developer paying all the bills too!

I would guess you are looking at 5K upwards, depending on how hard it
is for the devloper to dispose of the water in any other way.

We had not even considered as high as 5K so that is interesting as a
figure to start bargaining from. The developer has, rather stupidly I
think, said that the council has already refused him permission to
dispose of the surface water into the drains that are in the road.

The devloper will also likley need a "consent to discharge" from the
environment agency.

Looking at a planning application that has gone in for the site this was
covered by saying that the water would be allowed to drain onto an area
of ground, which belongs to my parents! They were going to question this
any way but the developer has possibly realised he doesn't own this land
and having looked at it further found the stream, it is rather well
hidden.

Depending upon the size of the stream, they could
also run the output form a package sewage treatment unit into the
stream.

I would have thought that this would have made sense, the only question
it may bring up is if the environment agency actually realise that there
is already the out put of six septic tanks going that way at the moment.
I don't know a lot about how these things work but the water is
remarkably clean, not that I would want to drink it mind you, so I
assume that the tanks are working as they should.

It is a very out of the way rural area and strange things have been done
there before. The council couldn't understand why some fields started to
have a flooding problem a few years back, the answer was that one of the
home owners had found a broken pipe under his garden that rats were
coming out of and so he blocked it with a bag of cement, the present
owner of the house knows nothing of this!! It appears it was part of a
very old drainage system that was not recorded any where. He is now long
dead and the council put in extra drainage in the road to remove the
flood water!

I just took a look at pen-y-geulan.com is this yours? It reminds me of a
property that I used to visit that one of our neighbours owned sometime
back in Parc, not too far away.

Rick

--
Bill