Posted to uk.d-i-y
AT AT is offline

Default Land drainage

"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 19 Jun, 20:36, Bill wrote:
Hi,
does any one here have any experience of surface water disposal
and pipes etc? My parents, elderly, have been approached by a property
developer asking permission to run a pipe across their land from a new
development of 4 houses to carry surface water run off. The alternative
is a soak away. The pipe would end at a small stream at the edge of
parents property. The land is mainly trees and bracken and has not been
visited by anyone apart from me a few weeks back for many years as it is
at the bottom of a steep bank and has been left to nature. Badgers,
foxes rabbits etc. Any way the main question is what would this be worth
to parents? They have been told that the developer is willing to pay a
one off payment for the pipe but no figure has been discussed yet. There
is a very boggy area near to the stream where the out flow of a number
of septic tanks joins the stream, this has been caused because the pipe
carrying it stops about 100 feet short of the stream. Guy who laid pipe
stopped at this point for some unknown reason, it was 50 years ago. For
about 50 years before that the out flow had just run along a ditch and
into the stream.

My thoughts were that a bit of barter may be a good idea here, the
developer runs his pipe f.o.c. In exchange for finishing off the one
that carries the septic tank water thus drying out the boggy area. I do
remember in years gone by that before the very small ditch silted up the
land was not boggy and so, I would hope, it should dry out if the pipe
was extended.

A bit rambling but the main question is, how much is it worth to the
developer not to have to build a soak away in a limited space? He is
already making provision for either a septic tank or cesspit to take
sewage etc. this will be pumped out and allegedly have no water running
from it into the surface water run off. My parents are not out to make
money from the deal as they are quite content as they are but would
rather like the bog drying up!

I know "how long is a piece of string?" but any comments most welcome.
--
Bill

My expereince of this is from the end of the devloper, some things to
think about.

Your parents will need a solicitor to represent them, the 1st thing is
to have his bill paid by the devloper, and then have the solicitor
negoiate the deal. There are issues of maintance of the pipe in future
to consider, and the land being devalued as you can't build over the
pipe. You make like to get an advisor to work out the ammount to
charge, again the devloper should pay this bill. So even if nting
happens the devloper may have 2 bills to pay.

I would guess you are looking at 5K upwards, depending on how hard it
is for the devloper to dispose of the water in any other way.

The devloper will also likley need a "consent to discharge" from the
environment agency. Depending upon the size of the stream, they could
also run the output form a package sewage treatment unit into the
stream.

Rick

If the watercourse is a stream then Rick is correct, the developer would
likely require a "consent to discharge" from the EA. If you parents live in
a flood area then the stream may well be a drainage ditch if the banks are
built up, in which case it would likely be managed by an Internal Drainage
Board. In such a case, consent would be required from the IDB, in addition
to a 9m easement from the bank top edge plus access to the easement for
maintenance. However, it doesn't sound as if that is the case here. The
effectiveness of a soakaway would depend on the percolation characteristics
of the soil.

If there are badgers living near where the pipe would be laid then the
developer may require an Environmetal Impact Assessment to be carried out.

AT