Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Terminating an alarm company contract early

Dan wrote:
We recently moved from a rental house in the Seattle area where we had
Protection One alarm service. We were approximately 15 months into the 3
year contract. They are billing us for the remainder of the term, nearly
$700. Needless to say, I would prefer not to pay for service we will not be
using. Has anyone had any experience terminating such a contract early,
particularly with Protection One?

I'm sure there are terms in the contract covering this. You need to
find that contract and read it to learn what you agreed to. Could be
they're trying to get more than they're entitled to, but isn't the first
thing on my thought list.

Assuming it is what the contract says, you don't have much of a basis
for anything, but you might try and see if they'd accept a settlement
for half, say. After that, you can just walk I suppose, and make them
come after you, but when they do you will definitely lose and end up w/
collection costs besides.

If it doesn't give them that right, then you show them what it does say
and pay that...

Seems pretty straightforward to me -- read the contract.