Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Ruskai Mike Ruskai is offline

Default Builder did not leave enough room for standard fridge

On or about Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:39:13 -0700 did kris3432
dribble thusly:

Hello everyone. I thought I would stop here and ask everyone's advise
about a problem that we have ran into on the house we are having
built.

[snip]
A picture of our kitchen from a couple of weeks ago can be found here
(if is finished now): http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...7-4797_IMG.jpg

Am I being unreasonable wanting something done about this or at least
expecting the builder to pay part of the extra cost for the fridge?

That just strikes me as an incredibly stupid place to design in a
fridge.

Here's a quick and dirty take on how I'd do that kitchen, based on
what I can tell from the pictu

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/138...kitchenht1.jpg

The space for the fridge is replaced by a normal countertop with
cabinet underneath, and a full cabinet above.

The corner is replaced with a single unit that has a lazy susan
underneath. Maybe something similar on top, too.

The fridge then goes near the end of the wall, under a half cabinet up
top. Doing that, you can leave enough space for an especially large
fridge, but still put a smaller one in without there seeming to be a
huge gap between cabinets. I drew in a bottom-freezer french-door
fridge as an example.

I can't really say how reasonable it would be for you to demand a
change like that (or however you'd want to do it), since I don't know
how many opportunities you had to correct the design before it was
built. But I would definitely not be happy with the design in your
picture.
--
- Mike

Ignore the Python in me to send e-mail.