Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default How to flatten hardboard..?

HI Cic

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:43:51 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:04:20 +0100, Adrian wrote:

HI All

I'm looking for ways to flatten, and keep flattened, the interior
hardboard-and-vinyl panels on my recently-acquired '64 Morris Traveller.

At some stage in the past the old girl's let in rainwater, and some of the
interior panels have buckled. The particularly bad areas are along the top
of the doors, just under the window seal - where the panel is standing a
one to two cm away from the door in some places.

Rather than replace the whole lot (I think they're probably original) - I
was wondering about ways of removing the panels and clamping them flat, to
permanantly remove the 'wavyness'...

Should I be thinking about 'steaming' the panel, or maybe even using some
of that 'wood hardener' to stiffen the panel once it's clamped..?

Anybody done this - or is it a waste of time ??

Many thanks
Adrian

==================================
If you're prepared to wait a bit you can use two sheets of 18mm chipboard
(6' x 2' for weight).

That's a thought..

Dampen the panels with a solution of water and
Dettol (to prevent mould growth)

ah - I see you've been there before g

, cover with polythene sheet and place
between the chipboard sheets. Lay flat and add extra weight if available.
Inspect after a few days.

OK

If the hardboard has delaminated forget it.

As I said elsewhere - once I get the widget for removing the trim
panels safely I'll take a look at the state of the hardboard and take
it from there.

Tanks for the advice
Adrian