Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cold water supply lines in hot attic

"randyn" wrote in message
The kitchen tap is on the other side of the
house from the cold water manifold, so it is a long run of pipe. I
measured the temperature at the tap with a kitchen thermometer today--
it was 130 deg F for 10 seconds or so, which seems really out of line.
I haven't seen this problem mentioned in other postings to this group
concerning attic routing of water supply lines.

Is this normal for attic-routed cold water supply lines in a hot
climate? I have a hard time believing that the water could pick up so
much heat. My attic has passive ventilation, with no soffit vents.
Would improving attic ventilation result in a big improvement? Or is
the plumbing work defective somehow?

Thanks

Very normal. Measure the temperature in your attic and you may be surprised
at how hot it is when the sun is beating on it.

We have a similar situation at work where the water lines pass through the
ceiling of the boiler room. The water in the office water heater actually
cools off sitting in there in the summer when the boiler room temperature is
high. Now that you see how hot it is up there, consider some venting to
save on AC costs.