Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Which kind of siding?

Vinyl clad aluminum will dent, and careless use of ladders will cause
problems. I have not had any problems with shielding from the aluminum, and
run all sorts of radios in the house (ham, FM, Sirius satellite, AM,
scanner, and my wireless TMobile Sidekick and other data and voice services)
and have not found the aluminum siding to be a problem. The roof and glass
windows are huge, electrically "transparent" apertures allowing all of the
RF energy to pass through without problems.

Dark color like my chocolate brown are a problem though, and ultraviolet
bleaching from the sun eventually makes the siding look milky and faded. The
lack of warranty is not coincidental........since the manufacturers know the
way their products deteriorate and why.

Smarty
"terry" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 18, 2:01 am, mm wrote:
I was told, when I called and asked Temna antennas, I think it was,
that aluminum (and steel I'm sure) siding could interfere with radio
reception. Seems reasonable.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes. But it is not 'interference' in the accepted sense. Interference
is for example something that radiates a signal or electrical noise
that 'interferes with' the operation of other equipment. Devices such
as some CFLs, light dimmers, garage door openers (especially cheap
products which may, or may not, comply with FCC standards) can be the
culprits. I have a shaver that makes clicking noises on our bedside
radio; and it's allegedly a good brand too! Of course we bought it at
Wal mart so probably made in China anyway!

Bad wiring and or a sparking motor etc can also cause interference.

It's also to try and avoid local interference is why super duper
communications radios have outside antenna often supported by towers
or poles. Radio amateurs for example. Very useful during some of the
emergencies we have been seeing in recent years due to storms etc
(Global warming anyone?)

However: Any metal completely surrounding radio/TV equipment can
'shield' it. From desired and undesired signals.
That's why radios without an outside antenna often won't work inside a
steel/aluminum ship, certain steel sheds, metal campers and RVs etc.

We lived in a US made house trailer at one time and the only way to
get TV reception was to run an antenna outside onto a fence. Outside
it worked fine even when under a foot of snow! Inside the metal
enclosed living unit virtually nothing would receive the TV signal.
The windows even had metal mesh fly screens which made the metal
shield surrounding us virtually complete.