Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which kind of siding?

My wife and I just purchased our first home (well technically the
close hasn't happened yet, but it's going through escrow).

The home inspector recommended that we replace the siding, so we are
going to do that. Right now the siding is some sort of old composite
that is falling apart. We are trying to decide what to put up.

Vinyl is very durable and doesn't need painting but most vinyl that I
have seen is kind of ugly.

If we get cedar siding that is stained and sealed, how often will it
have to be stained and sealed?

If we get a composite siding, how often will that have to be stained
and sealed? And what is the best type of composite siding to get?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"kramer31" wrote in message
Vinyl is very durable and doesn't need painting but most vinyl that I
have seen is kind of ugly.

Check again. It has improved quite a bit over the years and most is pretty
good looking and NO painting. I just hose mine down once a year.

If we get cedar siding that is stained and sealed, how often will it
have to be stained and sealed?

Depends on your climate. Every 2 to 6 years is typical. Looks nice, but
depending on your age and interest in climbing and painting, think twice
about it.

If we get a composite siding, how often will that have to be stained
and sealed? And what is the best type of composite siding to get?

No experience so I can't help there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

To let everyone know, we live in Portland, Oregon so there is a lot
of rain, but no snow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"kramer31" wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife and I just purchased our first home (well technically the
close hasn't happened yet, but it's going through escrow).

The home inspector recommended that we replace the siding, so we are
going to do that. Right now the siding is some sort of old composite
that is falling apart. We are trying to decide what to put up.

Vinyl is very durable and doesn't need painting but most vinyl that I
have seen is kind of ugly.

If we get cedar siding that is stained and sealed, how often will it
have to be stained and sealed?

If we get a composite siding, how often will that have to be stained
and sealed? And what is the best type of composite siding to get?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Vinyl is ugly and cheap looking. Cedar is quite expensive and requires
maintenance.
I recommend cement siding. I have Hardie Plank on my house and it looks
nice.
You can get it pre-painted, and the finish has a warranty. It eventually
will need
painting, but it won't go bad like the Masonite you had did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

kramer31 writes:

My wife and I just purchased our first home (well technically the
close hasn't happened yet, but it's going through escrow).

The home inspector recommended that we replace the siding, so we are
going to do that. Right now the siding is some sort of old composite
that is falling apart. We are trying to decide what to put up.

Vinyl is very durable and doesn't need painting but most vinyl that I
have seen is kind of ugly.

If we get cedar siding that is stained and sealed, how often will it
have to be stained and sealed?

If we get a composite siding, how often will that have to be stained
and sealed? And what is the best type of composite siding to get?

Vinyl siding that looks like cedar:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen...deck-bump.html

Painting and or staining is a drag.
Go with a material that will last longer than you will.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vinyl clad aluminum has looked good here for about 20 years but is beginning
to fade. Would still recommend it based on my own satisfaction. Dark colors
my wife and I preferred were only available in vinyl clad aluminum and could
not be purchased in vinyl, so I was "forced" to go with aluminum if I wanted
a dark chocolate brown color. Not sure if this is still true or not.

Smarty

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
kramer31 writes:

My wife and I just purchased our first home (well technically the
close hasn't happened yet, but it's going through escrow).

The home inspector recommended that we replace the siding, so we are
going to do that. Right now the siding is some sort of old composite
that is falling apart. We are trying to decide what to put up.

Vinyl is very durable and doesn't need painting but most vinyl that I
have seen is kind of ugly.

If we get cedar siding that is stained and sealed, how often will it
have to be stained and sealed?

If we get a composite siding, how often will that have to be stained
and sealed? And what is the best type of composite siding to get?

Vinyl siding that looks like cedar:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen...deck-bump.html

Painting and or staining is a drag.
Go with a material that will last longer than you will.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:58:00 -0400, "Smarty"
wrote:

Vinyl clad aluminum has looked good here for about 20 years but is beginning
to fade. Would still recommend it based on my own satisfaction. Dark colors
my wife and I preferred were only available in vinyl clad aluminum and could
not be purchased in vinyl, so I was "forced" to go with aluminum if I wanted
a dark chocolate brown color. Not sure if this is still true or not.

That's the color I have, and vinyl siding wouldn't come with a
warranty in that color, I hear. STill quite a few neigbhors bought
it, and it doesn't seem to have faded, in vinyl.

The next n'hood over is a bit cheaper than ours, and the original
vinyl goes to the grass, instead of having a brick first floor, and
there seem to be several holes in the vinyl, I don't know why. Too
cheap? Use of ladders?

I was told, when I called and asked Temna antennas, I think it was,
that aluminum (and steel I'm sure) siding could interfere with radio
reception. Seems reasonable.

Doesn't aluminum dent?

Smarty

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
kramer31 writes:

My wife and I just purchased our first home (well technically the
close hasn't happened yet, but it's going through escrow).

The home inspector recommended that we replace the siding, so we are
going to do that. Right now the siding is some sort of old composite
that is falling apart. We are trying to decide what to put up.

Vinyl is very durable and doesn't need painting but most vinyl that I
have seen is kind of ugly.

If we get cedar siding that is stained and sealed, how often will it
have to be stained and sealed?

If we get a composite siding, how often will that have to be stained
and sealed? And what is the best type of composite siding to get?

Vinyl siding that looks like cedar:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen...deck-bump.html

Painting and or staining is a drag.
Go with a material that will last longer than you will.

Posted to alt.home.repair

have friend with cedar siding, at 20 years home needs resided, birds
pecked holes in siding looks bad, maintence costly.

metal aluminimum or steel will hurt radio tv and espically cell phone
reception a lot. have friend who must go outside to use cell phone.

vinyl siding looks good lasts just about forever, requires no
maintence at all. doesnt dent either.

composites might be ok but as you get older no maintence becomes more
important.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
kramer31 writes:

My wife and I just purchased our first home (well technically the
close hasn't happened yet, but it's going through escrow).

The home inspector recommended that we replace the siding, so we are
going to do that. Right now the siding is some sort of old composite
that is falling apart. We are trying to decide what to put up.

Vinyl is very durable and doesn't need painting but most vinyl that I
have seen is kind of ugly.

If we get cedar siding that is stained and sealed, how often will it
have to be stained and sealed?

If we get a composite siding, how often will that have to be stained
and sealed? And what is the best type of composite siding to get?

Vinyl siding that looks like cedar:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen...deck-bump.html

Painting and or staining is a drag.
Go with a material that will last longer than you will.- Hide quoted text -

Yes Alu. can dent. Also it can corrode (in Maritime climate) My
neighbor replaced with vinyl. But complains it is noisy in windy
conditions. He comes to our house which is 10 inch pine clapboard and
marvels how much quieter it is. We stain the pine (don't paint it)
about every six years and since 1970 I have replaced about 30% on one
side facing the sun and the occasional board elsewhere.
If I ever did a total replacement I might consider Hardi-Plank.
However another neighbour has tried cement based Hardi-Plank; and has
installed it on one end of his A frame summer home but has had some
problems. He is currently dealing with Hardi-Plank rep because of
'flaking'. We don't know it it was just a bad batch or what?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
have friend with cedar siding, at 20 years home needs resided, birds
pecked holes in siding looks bad, maintence costly.

I have cedar siding, 80 years old. Where I stripped and re-painted, it
looks better than new. And I do mean better than anything I've seen on
new houses.

Of course it does need periodic maintainence.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 4:24?pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

have friend with cedar siding, at 20 years home needs resided, birds
pecked holes in siding looks bad, maintence costly.

I have cedar siding, 80 years old. Where I stripped and re-painted, it
looks better than new. And I do mean better than anything I've seen on
new houses.

Of course it does need periodic maintainence.

Bob

few people go to all the work of stripping and repainting plus 80 year
old siding was old growth wood. grows slow extra strong and hard. much
more stable.

new farm raised wodd is softer, bigger rings less strong rots easier
and probably wouldnt make even 40 years let alone 80. its why wood
twists bends and such today. its farm raised fast and not nearly as
good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 2:01 am, mm wrote:
I was told, when I called and asked Temna antennas, I think it was,
that aluminum (and steel I'm sure) siding could interfere with radio
reception. Seems reasonable.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes. But it is not 'interference' in the accepted sense. Interference
is for example something that radiates a signal or electrical noise
that 'interferes with' the operation of other equipment. Devices such
as some CFLs, light dimmers, garage door openers (especially cheap
products which may, or may not, comply with FCC standards) can be the
culprits. I have a shaver that makes clicking noises on our bedside
radio; and it's allegedly a good brand too! Of course we bought it at
Wal mart so probably made in China anyway!

Bad wiring and or a sparking motor etc can also cause interference.

It's also to try and avoid local interference is why super duper
communications radios have outside antenna often supported by towers
or poles. Radio amateurs for example. Very useful during some of the
emergencies we have been seeing in recent years due to storms etc
(Global warming anyone?)

However: Any metal completely surrounding radio/TV equipment can
'shield' it. From desired and undesired signals.
That's why radios without an outside antenna often won't work inside a
steel/aluminum ship, certain steel sheds, metal campers and RVs etc.

We lived in a US made house trailer at one time and the only way to
get TV reception was to run an antenna outside onto a fence. Outside
it worked fine even when under a foot of snow! Inside the metal
enclosed living unit virtually nothing would receive the TV signal.
The windows even had metal mesh fly screens which made the metal
shield surrounding us virtually complete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any idea how often hardie plank would need painting?

I think the warranty is 15 years on the color, and 50 years on the product.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

On Jun 17, 8:43 pm, kramer31 wrote:
My wife and I just purchased our first home (well technically the
close hasn't happened yet, but it's going through escrow).

The home inspector recommended that we replace the siding, so we are
going to do that. Right now the siding is some sort of old composite
that is falling apart. We are trying to decide what to put up.

Vinyl is very durable and doesn't need painting but most vinyl that I
have seen is kind of ugly.

If we get cedar siding that is stained and sealed, how often will it
have to be stained and sealed?

If we get a composite siding, how often will that have to be stained
and sealed? And what is the best type of composite siding to get?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

The uglyness factor is strictly personal preference. Your preference
nay vary from mine, but I think vinyl looks ugly. Ny neighborhood is
all 1920's houses, mixture of cedar clapboards, cedar shakes, and
stucco. Some people get tired of the maintenace of cedar siding, so
they cover it with stucco. Some people may argue that vinyl looks OK,
but it certainly looks out of place in my neighborhood.

People say vinyl and aluminum are "maintenance free". I prefer to
think of them as "unmaintainable". It gets dmamaged and you are often
SOL. Yes, you just wash down the vinyl or aluminum siding every year
or two, but once it gets damaged, often you are out of luck because
you can't find a matching replacement. They don't make the same vinyl
patterns for 100 years in a row. Around here, we get windstorms every
few years, and it is common to see large pieces of vinyl siding
missing from houses. Doesn't happen to my cedar. We also get ice
storms occassionally, last big one a tree came down and hit the side
of our house. All I did was replace a couple clapboards (exact match
to the 80 year old stuff easily obtainable), and then paint that
section of wall. If I had vinyl or aluminum, I probably would have
had to do an extensive search for an approximate match, and even then
probably would have had to replace the whole section of that wall.

Yes, you do have to maintain cedar. Around here, everybody paints it,
and once you paint then you have to continue to paint rather than
stain. If my house hadn't been painted way back than, I would much
prefer stain. Prep work would be minimized, and then you would apply
a stain every 5-10 years. In New England, the standard seems to be
let cedar shakes weather naturally. Lifetime seems to be 100+ years,
way longer than any viinyl siding job will ever last. This is as long
as you like the effect of weathered gray cedar shakes.

Cost of cedar will be much greater than vinyl or aluminum.

No first hand experience with cement siding, but I believe it does a
decent job of combining all the best attributes of wood vs. vinyl or
aluminum. As long as you like the look of cement siding. I have the
impression it lasts forever, replacements should hopefully be
available 20+ years after you originally install the siding so that
you can repair damage. Holds paint well, so you don't have to paint
all the time.

If you have environmental concerns, cedar is a renewable resource,
however it comes from cutting old growth forests. Vinyl is a
petroleum product. Aluminum is recyclable. Cement is probably the
best overall because it is a mineral that is not in short supply, and
it last a long time.

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message
oups.com...

People say vinyl and aluminum are "maintenance free". I prefer to
think of them as "unmaintainable". It gets dmamaged and you are often
SOL. Yes, you just wash down the vinyl or aluminum siding every year
or two, but once it gets damaged, often you are out of luck because
you can't find a matching replacement. They don't make the same vinyl
patterns for 100 years in a row. Around here, we get windstorms every
few years, and it is common to see large pieces of vinyl siding
missing from houses. Doesn't happen to my cedar.

Agreed. I still have some of the original clapboards on sections of my
house, which was built before 1850. Five years ago an old farm was
subdivided down the road, and four new houses were built. They were all
different styles, and colors, but all used vinyl siding. The white one
hasn't faded, but there are vertical stains near one window which look like
rust. I don't know what it is, but I know they've had the house washed and
the stains remain. The other three are very faded, with the blue one looking
particularly awful. My clapboard paint job lasts for 10 years. Can't say
that about the vinyl I've seen, which starts looking awful in about three
years. However, I am firmly in the "all vinyl/aluminum/non-wood clapboards
look hideous" camp, so YMMV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 7:43 pm, kramer31 wrote:
My wife and I just purchased our first home (well technically the
close hasn't happened yet, but it's going through escrow).

The home inspector recommended that we replace the siding, so we are
going to do that. Right now the siding is some sort of old composite
that is falling apart. We are trying to decide what to put up.

Vinyl is very durable and doesn't need painting but most vinyl that I
have seen is kind of ugly.

If we get cedar siding that is stained and sealed, how often will it
have to be stained and sealed?

If we get a composite siding, how often will that have to be stained
and sealed? And what is the best type of composite siding to get?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I like steel siding and roofing. It has that agricultural look that
might be called ugly but I bet it out-performs any other material in
any category except appearance. Cost per year of use. Ease of
installation. Zero mainentance. Last longer and has more colors than
vinyl. That's why they use it on barns, it's the best.

I see more often steel used in residential areas at least on roofs
anyway. I'm sure steel siding just wouldn't fit in some neighorhoods,
hehe, but it seems to be used more often than in the past.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 7:48?pm, Lawrence wrote:
[...]

hehe, but it seems to be used more often than in the past.- Hide quoted text -

metal kills cell signals in homes, dents pretty easily, neighborhood
homes have had to be painted at around the 30 year mark the paint
literally wears away.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

metal kills cell signals in homes, dents pretty easily, neighborhood
homes have had to be painted at around the 30 year mark the paint
literally wears away.......

And then the painting would be like any other house?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote in message

Can't say that about the vinyl I've seen, which starts looking awful in
about three years. However, I am firmly in the "all
vinyl/aluminum/non-wood clapboards look hideous" camp, so YMMV.

"Some" vinyl looks cheap and does not hold up well long term. Quality vinyl
does. I wonder how many houses you've seen with good vinyl on it and
thought it was some other material.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vinyl clad aluminum will dent, and careless use of ladders will cause
problems. I have not had any problems with shielding from the aluminum, and
run all sorts of radios in the house (ham, FM, Sirius satellite, AM,
scanner, and my wireless TMobile Sidekick and other data and voice services)
and have not found the aluminum siding to be a problem. The roof and glass
windows are huge, electrically "transparent" apertures allowing all of the
RF energy to pass through without problems.

Dark color like my chocolate brown are a problem though, and ultraviolet
bleaching from the sun eventually makes the siding look milky and faded. The
lack of warranty is not coincidental........since the manufacturers know the
way their products deteriorate and why.

Smarty
"terry" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 18, 2:01 am, mm wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

metal kills cell signals in homes, dents pretty easily, neighborhood
homes have had to be painted at around the 30 year mark the paint
literally wears away.......- Hide quoted text -

To each their own. An external antenna can be use for a cell phone.
Most houses have a land line. 30 years is a long time. What does
vinyl look like after 30 years? Many have to go ahead and have to
paint it anyway.

Sure it can be dented but the same blow would put a permanent hole in
vinyl. No way is vinyl more durable than steel. Vinyl may last
forever but you will get rid of it since long before that since it
will become so brittle that it will be literally be falling apart .
When you are done with vinyl it goes to the landfill. Steel can be
recyled and used steel is worth real money at a scrap yard. You can't
name another siding product that is still worth money after it
replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And then the painting would be like any other house?

Steel holds paint better than most materials. A 30 years paint job is
far longer service than any other painted material. A new paint job
would not last 30 years but still a much longer time than anything
else you can buy.

Steel is so durable that you could ignore the paint and it would last
another 30 years. Farmers never paint it. They just intall it and
forget about it. Steel siding and roofing are so durable they will
easily outlast the owner unless you are very young. I have seen steel
with rust but never have I seen it rusted all the way through. In any
case, I already excluded steel from the category of appearance for the
purpose of making my point. Steel is the best in every category
except appearance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 6:34 pm, " wrote:
On Jun 18, 4:24?pm, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote in message

oups.com...

have friend with cedar siding, at 20 years home needs resided, birds
pecked holes in siding looks bad, maintenance costly.

I have cedar siding, 80 years old. Where I stripped and re-painted, it
looks better than new. And I do mean better than anything I've seen on
new houses.

Of course it does need periodic maintenance.

Bob

few people go to all the work of stripping and repainting plus 80 year
old siding was old growth wood. grows slow extra strong and hard. much
more stable.

new farm raised wood is softer, bigger rings less strong rots easier
and probably wouldn't make even 40 years let alone 80. its why wood
twists bends and such today. its farm raised fast and not nearly as
good.

Sometimes slower growth (cooler climate, naturally seeded) forested
Canadian wood is deemed denser, slightly stronger, more stable and
more desirable for that reason. Problem is that lumber lobbyists in US
have succeeded in having protective tariffs placed on imported,
lumber! That and the currently falling value of the US dollar isn't
helping US house building costs!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sometimes slower growth (cooler climate, naturally seeded) forested
Canadian wood is deemed denser, slightly stronger, more stable and
more desirable for that reason. Problem is that lumber lobbyists in US
have succeeded in having protective tariffs placed on imported,
lumber! That and the currently falling value of the US dollar isn't
helping US house building costs!- Hide quoted text -

That's a pretty touchy subject where I live, Minnesota. It is said
that those tarriffs are necessary since the Canadian lumber industry
is subsidized by default. No Canadian company has to pay health care
premiums. All U.S. employers do. That is in effect, a subsidy for
all Canadian products including lumber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sometimes slower growth (cooler climate, naturally seeded) forested
Canadian wood is deemed denser, slightly stronger, more stable and
more desirable for that reason. Problem is that lumber lobbyists in
US
have succeeded in having protective tariffs placed on imported,
lumber! That and the currently falling value of the US dollar isn't
helping US house building costs!- Hide quoted text -

That's a pretty touchy subject where I live, Minnesota. It is said
that those tarriffs are necessary since the Canadian lumber industry
is subsidized by default. No Canadian company has to pay health
care
premiums. All U.S. employers do. That is in effect, a subsidy for
all Canadian products including lumber.

Is there a lesson in there somewhere?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there a lesson in there somewhere?

Bob

There's no need to ask Bob. Americans deserve government guranteed
health care just like Canada. Unfortunatly, that can never happen
when so much is spent on the Military. So for now, it has to be
tarrifs or our lumber industry will fail and children will go hungry.
Just so you know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence" wrote in message

There's no need to ask Bob. Americans deserve government guranteed
health care just like Canada.

I'd like to think we deserve better. Wait, I do have better and I don't
depend on the government for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Lawrence" wrote in message

There's no need to ask Bob. Americans deserve government guranteed
health care just like Canada.

I'd like to think we deserve better. Wait, I do have better and I
don't depend on the government for it.

And 25% of american children have no health coverage. 50% of kids
living in poverty. Not to mention the adults.. Sounds great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 9:28 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Lawrence" wrote in message

There's no need to ask Bob. Americans deserve government guranteed
health care just like Canada.

I'd like to think we deserve better. Wait, I do have better and I don't
depend on the government for it.

What a crappy comment. Do you give a **** about anyone but
yourself? Get a clue, lack of susidized health care is destroying
American business. When every other decent country provides for their
citizens, it creates a competitive disadavatage. Does that mattter to
you?

I also have insurance but I don't need to gloat. I am grateful to have
it and humbled by those who don't. I can only hope to keep up with
the premiums.

No one but you cares whether or not you personally have insurance.
Everyone cares if the American economy is being destroyed by a broken
health care system. America is a nice place but the United States
government treats it's citizens very poorly, unless you are a
government employee that is. I bet you have a government job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
have friend with cedar siding, at 20 years home needs resided, birds
pecked holes in siding looks bad, maintence costly.

metal aluminimum or steel will hurt radio tv and espically cell phone
reception a lot. have friend who must go outside to use cell phone.

vinyl siding looks good lasts just about forever, requires no
maintence at all. doesnt dent either.

Its true it wont dent. it Breaks try firing a golf ball off of it