Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Elec. Disconnect box help

In article . com, Greg White wrote:
OK I got it now,

I have the wrong cable.

Not necessarily -- see below.

The same box is he
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...EA-1870D54B0BA
3
I should have gotten the red,black,green cable.

What's shown in the illustrations at that link is actually individual
conductors. Good luck finding premises-wiring cable that's red/black/green.

You can use black/white/bare, just mark the white wire red at each end.

Would it be possible to use the whit as a ground

No. Code requires the grounding conductor to have either no insulation, or
continuous green insulation. It doesn't meet Code to re-mark a white wire
green. The only exception is conductors larger than 6 gauge, which you
probably don't have.

since my bare copper ground is thinner than the white?

You sure about that? It should say on the cable sheath exactly what size the
conductors are.

What gauge are the wires, and what is the rating of the breaker you're
planning to connect them to?

--
Regards,