Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which kind of siding?

On Jun 18, 4:24?pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

have friend with cedar siding, at 20 years home needs resided, birds
pecked holes in siding looks bad, maintence costly.

I have cedar siding, 80 years old. Where I stripped and re-painted, it
looks better than new. And I do mean better than anything I've seen on
new houses.

Of course it does need periodic maintainence.

Bob

few people go to all the work of stripping and repainting plus 80 year
old siding was old growth wood. grows slow extra strong and hard. much
more stable.

new farm raised wodd is softer, bigger rings less strong rots easier
and probably wouldnt make even 40 years let alone 80. its why wood
twists bends and such today. its farm raised fast and not nearly as
good.