Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Jacking out a SHORT retaining wall?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 18 Jun, 10:22, "Bill Stock" wrote:
I've got a short (2 high 4x4) retaining wall around the pond that I want
remove temporarily.

So I go out this morning full of **** and vinegar, thinking I'll put my
pick
under it and will it loosen right up. Well I wiggled some body parts
loose,
but not much luck with the wall. Next, came the big guns, long heavy 2"
steel pipe. I could bend the pipe at will, but the crappy little
retaining
wall did not budge. :-(

So I'm wondering if a farm jack might be a better approach to getting it
out, preferably in good shape.

Any ideas?

Do you have any idea how the wall is fixed to the ground?

There could be re-bar pounded through the 4x4's extending multiple
feet into the ground, and sunk into concrete.
There could be vertical 4x4's extending multiple feet into the ground,
and sunk into concrete.
There could be horizontal members buried under the ground behind the
wall to keep it from tilting forward.
etc, etc.

I think you need to determine how the wall went in, in order to
determine how to get it out.

It's got rebar every 18" or so about 4' into the ground. No cement and no
buried members. So I was surprised I could not just lift it out.