Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default fixing 2" broken spinkler pvc line

On Jun 17, 7:52 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Jun 17, 3:38 pm, "Brian V" wrote:

"alextyler" wrote in message

roups.com...

Okay guys,,,put your thinking caps on. My main sprinkler line from my
pump to my irrigation system broke. It is a 2" PVC line...The problem
is this...there is no way to replace the broken line because I can not
bend the pipe in order to slide the fittings together. I have tried
the rubber type flexible pipe and with the pressure it pops off. I am
wondering if anyone has any ideas or can I create a 4x90degree in
order to create proper connections. Will the 90 degree angles handle
the pressure?

HELP

Why not a 2" PVC union? You can get these at any of the borgs.http://www.123ponds.com/ww9075.html

This is the 2nd time in a week that I find myself asking "WHY??" to a
post suggesting a PVC union. The only practical use of a union would
be an instance where you would want to take it apart repeatedly.
Follow Rico's advice and use a repair coupling or two and the
appropriate glue. You should be able to buy 2 repair couplings and a
5' section of pipe for less than the cost of the union.

JK- Hide quoted text -

While I would probably not go the 'union' route, there is nothing
wrong with one. They are just as permanent a fitting as a normal
joint. YOu apparently have never tried to splice in fittings in a 2"
pvc pipe. It would take a _lot_ of digging to get enough wriggle room
to do it. Granted it is one of the right ways to do it but there are
simpler work arounds (4 90s or 4 45s for one, a union for another).

Harry K