Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fixing 2" broken spinkler pvc line

Okay guys,,,put your thinking caps on. My main sprinkler line from my
pump to my irrigation system broke. It is a 2" PVC line...The problem
is this...there is no way to replace the broken line because I can not
bend the pipe in order to slide the fittings together. I have tried
the rubber type flexible pipe and with the pressure it pops off. I am
wondering if anyone has any ideas or can I create a 4x90degree in
order to create proper connections. Will the 90 degree angles handle
the pressure?

HELP

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:52:11 -0700, alextyler
wrote:

Okay guys,,,put your thinking caps on. My main sprinkler line from my
pump to my irrigation system broke. It is a 2" PVC line...The problem
is this...there is no way to replace the broken line because I can not
bend the pipe in order to slide the fittings together. I have tried
the rubber type flexible pipe and with the pressure it pops off. I am
wondering if anyone has any ideas or can I create a 4x90degree in
order to create proper connections. Will the 90 degree angles handle
the pressure?

HELP

PVC Compression Couplings

http://www.doityourself.com/icat/compressioncouplings

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"alextyler" wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay guys,,,put your thinking caps on. My main sprinkler line from my
pump to my irrigation system broke. It is a 2" PVC line...The problem
is this...there is no way to replace the broken line because I can not
bend the pipe in order to slide the fittings together. I have tried
the rubber type flexible pipe and with the pressure it pops off. I am
wondering if anyone has any ideas or can I create a 4x90degree in
order to create proper connections. Will the 90 degree angles handle
the pressure?

HELP

Why not a 2" PVC union? You can get these at any of the borgs.
http://www.123ponds.com/ww9075.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 3:52 pm, alextyler wrote:
Okay guys,,,put your thinking caps on. My main sprinkler line from my
pump to my irrigation system broke. It is a 2" PVC line...The problem
is this...there is no way to replace the broken line because I can not
bend the pipe in order to slide the fittings together. I have tried
the rubber type flexible pipe and with the pressure it pops off. I am
wondering if anyone has any ideas or can I create a 4x90degree in
order to create proper connections. Will the 90 degree angles handle
the pressure?

HELP

Either cut off a bigger section and use two couplings to splice in a
repair section of 2", or, if it's buried, dig up more of the 2" pipe
so you'll have some wiggle room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 12:52 pm, alextyler wrote:
Okay guys,,,put your thinking caps on. My main sprinkler line from my
pump to my irrigation system broke. It is a 2" PVC line...The problem
is this...there is no way to replace the broken line because I can not
bend the pipe in order to slide the fittings together. I have tried
the rubber type flexible pipe and with the pressure it pops off. I am
wondering if anyone has any ideas or can I create a 4x90degree in
order to create proper connections. Will the 90 degree angles handle
the pressure?

HELP

Yes, the 4 '90's solution is doable. I have used it myself. Does
cause a bit of piping friction loss in efficiency.

Don't try the "Dressler" or "Dresser" couplings on PVC. They are the
ones with two compression fittings and rubber gaskets. I used one as
a quick disconnect on a sprinkler system feeding out of a stream.
Over time it actually deformed the PVC by squeezing it down to a
lesser diameter. I wouldn't use one ever in a buried pipe.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 3:38 pm, "Brian V" wrote:
"alextyler" wrote in message

oups.com...

Okay guys,,,put your thinking caps on. My main sprinkler line from my
pump to my irrigation system broke. It is a 2" PVC line...The problem
is this...there is no way to replace the broken line because I can not
bend the pipe in order to slide the fittings together. I have tried
the rubber type flexible pipe and with the pressure it pops off. I am
wondering if anyone has any ideas or can I create a 4x90degree in
order to create proper connections. Will the 90 degree angles handle
the pressure?

HELP

Why not a 2" PVC union? You can get these at any of the borgs.http://www.123ponds.com/ww9075.html

This is the 2nd time in a week that I find myself asking "WHY??" to a
post suggesting a PVC union. The only practical use of a union would
be an instance where you would want to take it apart repeatedly.
Follow Rico's advice and use a repair coupling or two and the
appropriate glue. You should be able to buy 2 repair couplings and a
5' section of pipe for less than the cost of the union.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 7:52 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Jun 17, 3:38 pm, "Brian V" wrote:

"alextyler" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

JK- Hide quoted text -

While I would probably not go the 'union' route, there is nothing
wrong with one. They are just as permanent a fitting as a normal
joint. YOu apparently have never tried to splice in fittings in a 2"
pvc pipe. It would take a _lot_ of digging to get enough wriggle room
to do it. Granted it is one of the right ways to do it but there are
simpler work arounds (4 90s or 4 45s for one, a union for another).

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 8:45 am, Harry K wrote:
On Jun 17, 7:52 pm, Big_Jake wrote:

On Jun 17, 3:38 pm, "Brian V" wrote:

"alextyler" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

In this case, you could probably cut a 3" section of pipe out, and use
two couplings and a slightly shorter pc of 2" pipe to make the
repair. You would have to do no more digging than you would to try to
get your 4 elbows solution in place.

No one is suggesting that you try to dig up enough pipe to flex the
pipe around to get a single coupling in place. That might take lots
of digging.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 7:03 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Jun 18, 8:45 am, Harry K wrote:

On Jun 17, 7:52 pm, Big_Jake wrote:

On Jun 17, 3:38 pm, "Brian V" wrote:

"alextyler" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

You would still need some 'flex' room. You are talking about
inserting about a 6" section of pipe into a rigid pipe. Each of those
fitting requir sliding a piece of pipe into the fitting. 4 90s, or 4
45s, plus a short piece of pipe can be 'turned' into place for the
final join with a bit of force. I have done it 3 times now on 1"
pipe, haven't tried it on larger sizes.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

You need to go to an irrigation or sprinkler place. Most plumbing
supply houses do not carry these. Call around and ask for a
telescoping pvc repair coupling. We use these on full pressure
potable systems and sprinkler. They are great when a trencher
has chewed the line, they also work great if one backhoe tooth
hurt the pipe (full bucket takes out too much pipe).

Here is an example from KBI
http://www.irrigation.ca/Manuals/Brochures/QF-Specs.pdf
and another from Slip-fix
http://www.nationalirrigation.com.au.../slip_fix.html

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

oups.com...

Fixing broken rad bleeder Tim.. UK diy 9 January 6th 07 05:17 PM
Fixing a broken shower handle matt p Home Repair 5 November 14th 05 08:30 PM
Fixing a broken window crank toller Home Repair 9 July 21st 05 07:45 AM
Fixing broken IC legs microx Electronics Repair 7 January 24th 05 01:55 AM
Broken Water Line ROBERT LADD Home Repair 9 December 19th 04 04:08 PM