Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Adapter plug for a 230 volt 4 prong Dryer Outlet to a 230 volt 3 prong Outlet

Correct

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 17, 8:05 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Since you need power for your washing machine, I surely would not
wire to the dryer plug. There is no power in a dryer plug, unless
it is in the socket. You could possibly build an adaptor that
would be a dryer style plug, and an Asko style socket. You could
then put the adaptor into the dryer socket, and then the washer
plug into the adaptor.

The dryer plug would be removed from the socket, and set aside.
Don't try to wire to the dryer plug, that would be a waste of
effort.

Since you have the 220 volt power already available, consider
having an electrician either put a four prong "dryer whip" on
your washing machine. This strangely named thing is the power
cord with plug on the end. Should be possible to put a four prong
plug on your washer. Or, you may wish to ask him to wire a second
socket next to the dryer socket. This second socket being three
prong like your washer needs. You could leave them both plugged
in at the same time, though you'd only have enough power to run
one at a time. Easier than removing and replacing plugs.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message

oups.com...
: Hey,
: I just recently purchased a used Asko washing machine, and as
it has
: an onboard water heater, it requires that I plug it into a 230
volt
: outlet. The only 230 volt outlet in the room is for the dryer.
So,
: I'd like to make an adapter cord that goes from the 230 volt
dryer
: plug (which has a red and black hot, white neutral and a ground
wire)
: to a 3 pronged 230 volt plug end. Now I know that the red and
black
: are wired to the left and right prongs, but what I'm not 100%
sure of
: is the ground. Do I wire into the white neutral from the dryer
plug
: or to the ground wire of the dryer plug?
:
: Thanks for any help in advance.
:
: This is my first time using the Google groups, if there is a
more
: appropriate group that I should be posting this question to,
please
: let me know.
:

Thanks for all the responses.... just to clarify a couple of things.
I currently have two hots, a neutral and a ground in the wall outlet.
To wire the outlet for the new 3 prong washer, I just use the two hots
and the ground, and I just leave the neutral out... is this correct?

I have actually wired a Y for the washer and dryer, so that I wont
have to switch between the outlets, though I will only be able to use
one machine at a time, without blowing the fuse, thought this doesnt
concern me, since it is just me and my girlfriend doing laundry.