Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default How Long Do Water Heaters Live?

JB wrote:

My 40 gal gas water heater is about 13 yrs old. Water is hot and it
works fine. The only sign of age is exterior paint starting to flake
off with rust underneath. (Its kind of strange...the flake bits are
perfectly round...like tiny polka dots.)

What is the average life of a gas water heater? I don't want to
replace a perfectly good heater with lots of life left, but I don't
want to play Russian roulette and come home from work one day to a
swimming pool in my basement!

What are the signs that its time for it to go?

THanks!

--Jeff

I have a 40 gallon propane water heater that is 19 years old
and seems to have no problems. I did add an additional anode
a few years back.