Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

Default How Long Do Water Heaters Live?

My 40 gal gas water heater is about 13 yrs old. Water is hot and it
works fine. The only sign of age is exterior paint starting to flake
off with rust underneath. (Its kind of strange...the flake bits are
perfectly round...like tiny polka dots.)

What is the average life of a gas water heater? I don't want to
replace a perfectly good heater with lots of life left, but I don't
want to play Russian roulette and come home from work one day to a
swimming pool in my basement!

What are the signs that its time for it to go?

THanks!

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/17/2007 8:21 PM JB said the following:
My 40 gal gas water heater is about 13 yrs old. Water is hot and it
works fine. The only sign of age is exterior paint starting to flake
off with rust underneath. (Its kind of strange...the flake bits are
perfectly round...like tiny polka dots.)

What is the average life of a gas water heater? I don't want to
replace a perfectly good heater with lots of life left, but I don't
want to play Russian roulette and come home from work one day to a
swimming pool in my basement!

What are the signs that its time for it to go?

THanks!

--Jeff

My last 40 gal. one lasted 10 years. The first sign was water on the floor.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Water varies in quality. Ask your neighbors how long theirs lasted. But
probably it will go any day now, probably right before you want to take a
shower.

"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 40 gal gas water heater is about 13 yrs old. Water is hot and it
works fine. The only sign of age is exterior paint starting to flake
off with rust underneath. (Its kind of strange...the flake bits are
perfectly round...like tiny polka dots.)

What is the average life of a gas water heater? I don't want to
replace a perfectly good heater with lots of life left, but I don't
want to play Russian roulette and come home from work one day to a
swimming pool in my basement!

What are the signs that its time for it to go?

THanks!

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, JB wrote:
My 40 gal gas water heater is about 13 yrs old. Water is hot and it
works fine. The only sign of age is exterior paint starting to flake
off with rust underneath. (Its kind of strange...the flake bits are
perfectly round...like tiny polka dots.)

What is the average life of a gas water heater? I don't want to
replace a perfectly good heater with lots of life left, but I don't
want to play Russian roulette and come home from work one day to a
swimming pool in my basement!

What are the signs that its time for it to go?

I remember this being asked in a newspaper column by someone saying he
had a 15 year old water heater. The answer in the newspaper column was,
as best as I remember, "15 years, TICK TICK TICK!"

As for a warning sign: Often, but not guaranteed, is that hot water
runs out much more quickly. What happens (at least sometimes) is that a
tube in the tank that helps the water heat up evenly falls out of place
due to corrosion, and this has the effect of simulating a much smaller
tank capacity. Whenever I noticed the water heater running out of hot
water easily because of this, the water heater leaked in a matter of
months.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Klipstein wrote:
In article .com, JB wrote:
[...]

"Dip Tube".

There was an infamous recall on a large number of water heaters several
years ago on this.

Rob

falls out of place
due to corrosion, and this has the effect of simulating a much smaller
tank capacity. Whenever I noticed the water heater running out of hot
water easily because of this, the water heater leaked in a matter of
months.

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

JB wrote:
My 40 gal gas water heater is about 13 yrs old. Water is hot and it
works fine. The only sign of age is exterior paint starting to flake
off with rust underneath. (Its kind of strange...the flake bits are
perfectly round...like tiny polka dots.)

What is the average life of a gas water heater? I don't want to
replace a perfectly good heater with lots of life left, but I don't
want to play Russian roulette and come home from work one day to a
swimming pool in my basement!

What are the signs that its time for it to go?

THanks!

--Jeff

Water quality is one variable, as well as maintenance.

I had 2 electric heaters on the same system. The one installed in 1960
failed(leaked) in 1995.

The one installed in 1956 is still in use.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 40 gal gas water heater is about 13 yrs old. Water is hot and it
works fine. The only sign of age is exterior paint starting to flake
off with rust underneath. (Its kind of strange...the flake bits are
perfectly round...like tiny polka dots.)

What is the average life of a gas water heater? I don't want to
replace a perfectly good heater with lots of life left, but I don't
want to play Russian roulette and come home from work one day to a
swimming pool in my basement!

What are the signs that its time for it to go?

If you see a leak, it is gone. If you suddenly get a lot of rusty water, it
may be going fast. That said, I sold my last house and the water heater was
20 years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 40 gal gas water heater is about 13 yrs old. Water is hot and it
works fine. The only sign of age is exterior paint starting to flake
off with rust underneath. (Its kind of strange...the flake bits are
perfectly round...like tiny polka dots.)

What is the average life of a gas water heater? I don't want to
replace a perfectly good heater with lots of life left, but I don't
want to play Russian roulette and come home from work one day to a
swimming pool in my basement!

What are the signs that its time for it to go?

THanks!

--Jeff

Personal experiences only here based on home and multiple rental unit
ownership over a 35 year period. I have seen them last 30 years and I have
seen them die in 5 years. My overall average is about 15 years of service.
As others have said usage and water quality are a factor.

I have never had one fail in a dramatic fashion. All of my tank failures
have dripped, some for months, before I replaced them. more common is a
burner or control valve failure.

Your small round dots may be caused by condensation when the incoming water
is cold and there has been a high use.

Based on my experiences I would not replace the unit until it failed to
deliver the water I needed or showed some visible signs of failure. Side
note: I always turn my heater to pilot and shut off the water main when I
am on vacation.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jun 17, 8:25 pm, trainfan1 wrote:

What is the average life of a gas water heater?

I had 2 electric heaters on the same system. The one installed in 1960
failed(leaked) in 1995.

Which brings up the question: Do gas units generally have a shorter
life than electrics?

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

JB wrote:

My 40 gal gas water heater is about 13 yrs old. Water is hot and it
works fine. The only sign of age is exterior paint starting to flake
off with rust underneath. (Its kind of strange...the flake bits are
perfectly round...like tiny polka dots.)

What is the average life of a gas water heater? I don't want to
replace a perfectly good heater with lots of life left, but I don't
want to play Russian roulette and come home from work one day to a
swimming pool in my basement!

What are the signs that its time for it to go?

THanks!

--Jeff

I have a 40 gallon propane water heater that is 19 years old
and seems to have no problems. I did add an additional anode
a few years back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gas last less than electric, around here 10 years is good life. I
replace mine about that time.

new designs are much more energy efficent and if a flood can damage
stuff your better off replacing early.

WHs are realtively cheap appliances, divide purchase price by 10 year
life.... very low.

I prefer to pick and choose replacement time, after the one died
christmas eve during snow storm, 20 degrees and howling wind,
houseguests coming the next morning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My dad on city water used to replace his every 10 years (gas). Regular as
clock work. OF the three houses I've owned, I replaced one at 10 yrs (gas,
city water), and two others were still going strong at 18 years (well,
electric).

"M Q" wrote in message
JB wrote:

My 40 gal gas water heater is about 13 yrs old. Water is hot and it
works fine. The only sign of age is exterior paint starting to flake
off with rust underneath. (Its kind of strange...the flake bits are
perfectly round...like tiny polka dots.)

What is the average life of a gas water heater? I don't want to
replace a perfectly good heater with lots of life left, but I don't
want to play Russian roulette and come home from work one day to a
swimming pool in my basement!

What are the signs that its time for it to go?

THanks!

--Jeff

I have a 40 gallon propane water heater that is 19 years old
and seems to have no problems. I did add an additional anode
a few years back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I should check my anode, it's probably fairly eroded by now.- Hide quoted text -

be prepared to replace tank at that time, messing with it may start a
leak

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Long Do Water Heaters Live?/ Rob

Who manufactred the water heaters you spoke of.
Nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 8:21 pm, JB wrote:
My 40 gal gas water heater is about 13 yrs old. Water is hot and it
works fine. The only sign of age is exterior paint starting to flake
off with rust underneath. (Its kind of strange...the flake bits are
perfectly round...like tiny polka dots.)

What is the average life of a gas water heater? I don't want to
replace a perfectly good heater with lots of life left, but I don't
want to play Russian roulette and come home from work one day to a
swimming pool in my basement!

What are the signs that its time for it to go?

THanks!

--Jeff

The plumbing expert (Richard Trethuey, SP?) who works the TOH and Ask
TOH beat once handled your question in a different way. He installed
in the clients basement a pan underneath the water heater. This pan
had a pump and float activated switch. The pump was connected to a
hose which directed the effluent either to a basement sink or above
grade. It seems like a solution which could eliminate worrying about
a falure at an unknown time, most pobably when your on vacation.
Joe G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:21:49 -0700, JB wrote:

My 40 gal gas water heater is about 13 yrs old. Water is hot and it
works fine. The only sign of age is exterior paint starting to flake
off with rust underneath. (Its kind of strange...the flake bits are
perfectly round...like tiny polka dots.)

What is the average life of a gas water heater? I don't want to
replace a perfectly good heater with lots of life left, but I don't
want to play Russian roulette and come home from work one day to a
swimming pool in my basement!

Life is from 8 to 30 years, perhaps 15 years is the average. Soft
water, regular maintenance, and cooler temperatures will extend the
life expectancy.

What are the signs that its time for it to go?

Leakage or not heating. It is a good idea to install a drip pan with
a hose to the outside (mine feeds into the A/C drain). Also not a bad
idea to install a moisture alarm and keep goods up off the floor.

THanks!

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 3:03?pm, Phisherman wrote:
[...]

--Jeff- Hide quoted text -

around here 8 to 12 years, and 12 is very unusual, 10 is lkikely
average for good tank. realize they come with different warranties. 2
year, 6 year, 8 year, 12 year. the 12 year tanks price is so high it
subsudizes those who need a replacement and still have the warranty
paperwork. silting up is more likely as tanks age too.

now take a average 40 gallon tank that lasts 10 years. say it cost 500
bucks installed.

thats only 50 bucks a year, less than a buck a week, not worth a lot
of worry.

regular tanks are about 34,000 BTU. I prefer the 75 thousand BTU ones
for faster recovery. They tend to be made better, and do cost a bit
more but are well worth the extra expense

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KC" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 17, 8:25 pm, trainfan1 wrote:

What is the average life of a gas water heater?

I had 2 electric heaters on the same system. The one installed in 1960
failed(leaked) in 1995.

Which brings up the question: Do gas units generally have a shorter
life than electrics?

KC

Yes they do. Electrics heat the water at a slower rate and the element is
immersed. That makes for a lot less stress on the tank then basically
having a fire under it that gets hot quick and then cools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

N.J. Crane wrote:
Who manufactred the water heaters you spoke of.
Nancy

Can't remember on the 35 y/o one(the 1995 death). The 51 year old one
is a Rheem.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 7:21 pm, JB wrote:
What are the signs that its time for it to go?

posting a question about the lifetime of your water heater.

you could also say something like "my water heater is built like a
brick, it''ll never leak"

murphys law, go figgure

Posted to alt.home.repair

posting a question about the lifetime of your water heater.

you could also say something like "my water heater is built like a
brick, it''ll never leak"

murphys law, go figgure

Tips for longer life from a HW tank.

buy a oversize tank, like 75 gallons less stress on the tank.

a 40 gallon tank gets emptied too fast and too often the temperature
swings expanssion and contraction lead to earlier failure.

buy a 12 year guarantee tank, costs more but has heavier better
materials, that naturally cost more.

you can check change anode but may not be able to get it apart and
theres a chance cause a leak requiring immediate replacement.

buy a tank with a brass drain valve or ideally upgrade to a ball valve
for easy draining. Although I quit doing this years ago. plastic
drain valves are junk and only designed to empty the tank once at its
end of life.

remember new tanks arent bad news, they have better foam insulation
and all that sediment is gone, giving better recovery.

I prefer to pick the time to replace mine rather than deal with a
flood at a inconvenient time......

Hard water & Indirect Water Heaters [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 9th 07 04:29 AM
Gas water heaters rob Home Repair 5 May 27th 06 05:23 PM
Circulating hot water vs two hot water heaters [email protected] Home Ownership 10 March 3rd 05 06:17 AM
IMM is dead - Long live Dr Evil Set Square UK diy 40 February 3rd 05 01:03 AM