Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Builder did not leave enough room for standard fridge

On Jun 17, 6:05 am, mm wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:18:10 -0700, wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:14 pm, wrote:
I also feel your pain. We just moved into a mobile home from a house
and did not realize that the fridge would not fit. I ended up cutting
a wall in half in order to make it fit. Sometimes all you need is a
bigger hammer!

I'd say it's unacceptable and you have a very legitimate beef with the
builder. I would contact him immediately. It's not rocket science
to lay out a kitchen without a major malfunction like this. If they
are this stupid, I'd be very concerned about what else they may have
screwed up that you don't know about. I'd make a trip over there and
do a careful inspection to see what else may be wrong.

And I don't think having to use a refrigerator with less depth and
less room is the answer. And who is this real estate agent working
for? If you hired her as a buyer's agent and she told you this is
OK, I'd ask her what kind of an idiot does she take you for?. If

OH yeah, when the time comes sue both of them. Otherwise, she'll say
it's his fault and he'll say it's her fault at the separate trials.
By having on ly one trial, they can do this but the judge decides.

I'm not sure in every state you can sue both in small claims court.

Remind them of how much time they will have to spend in court, and
they will lose, and get the builder to just fix it now.

she's the agent for the builder, then it makes more sense, but it's

If she is the builder's agent, I think she is as liable as the
builder.

still amazingly stupid. You would think she would just say, OK, I
see your point and I'll take it up with the builder. In any case, I'd
do anything I could to minimize having her involved in this or
anything else.

Is this the same person who was having trouble with his agent out of
town a month or two ago?

I'm not being overy cynical but you (the OP) is only ASSUMING that the
cabinets are in wrong. It could also be that the cabinets are as
approved and that the room has been made smaller by misplacement of
walls OR (and this is scary) that the house is the wrong size and
everything got measured from the outside walls.

While both of these scenarios are unlikely, I thing the OP can't go
any farther without reviewing the plans and getting some accurate
measurements.