Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Which kind of siding?

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:58:00 -0400, "Smarty"
wrote:

Vinyl clad aluminum has looked good here for about 20 years but is beginning
to fade. Would still recommend it based on my own satisfaction. Dark colors
my wife and I preferred were only available in vinyl clad aluminum and could
not be purchased in vinyl, so I was "forced" to go with aluminum if I wanted
a dark chocolate brown color. Not sure if this is still true or not.

That's the color I have, and vinyl siding wouldn't come with a
warranty in that color, I hear. STill quite a few neigbhors bought
it, and it doesn't seem to have faded, in vinyl.

The next n'hood over is a bit cheaper than ours, and the original
vinyl goes to the grass, instead of having a brick first floor, and
there seem to be several holes in the vinyl, I don't know why. Too
cheap? Use of ladders?

I was told, when I called and asked Temna antennas, I think it was,
that aluminum (and steel I'm sure) siding could interfere with radio
reception. Seems reasonable.

Doesn't aluminum dent?

Smarty

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
kramer31 writes:

My wife and I just purchased our first home (well technically the
close hasn't happened yet, but it's going through escrow).

The home inspector recommended that we replace the siding, so we are
going to do that. Right now the siding is some sort of old composite
that is falling apart. We are trying to decide what to put up.

Vinyl is very durable and doesn't need painting but most vinyl that I
have seen is kind of ugly.

If we get cedar siding that is stained and sealed, how often will it
have to be stained and sealed?

If we get a composite siding, how often will that have to be stained
and sealed? And what is the best type of composite siding to get?

Vinyl siding that looks like cedar:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen...deck-bump.html

Painting and or staining is a drag.
Go with a material that will last longer than you will.