Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Shop vac that doesn't pump dust?

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:12:35 GMT, "aemeijers"
wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"aemeijers" wrote in message
The vac is second-hand cheap junk, but it sucks well. Anybody know a
source for, or how to fabricate, a filter cylinder or bag, that will
actually slow dust down? Hopefully cheap enough that I can have several
on hand, and rotate them as they get plugged up? Idea being that I could
then take all the filters outside, hose them clean, and they would be dry
in time for the next project?

They make a pleated filter that is washable and will control fine dust
http://www.shopvac.com/list.asp?ids=...lter+Selection

www.shopvac.com

Wow. Cheapest one on there costs more than I have in the entire machine, and

Despite the ones on that page, I'm sure they still selll the paper
circles.

Plus did you see on the right hand side

http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=157

3 for 9 dollars. Only fits 5-8 gallons. How big is yours. I don't
know what 600C means.

You may even be able to get the high filtration bags, at only a little
more.

Try this page:
http://www.shopvac.com/filter_guide.asp
and this one
http://www.shopvac.com/accessories.asp

none of them (on a quick read) look washable. I was using 'shop vac'
generically, but I just went downstairs and looked, and it is an actual Shop
Vac brand shop vac, model 600C. Pretty old, judging by the metal collection
can. Guess I'll have to ponder this, and maybe try and see what I can rig up
with some filter media and giant rubber bands.

Related question- anybody know a good way to strip old striped
foam-backed basement carpet? I pulled back a corner, and it looks like a
layer of talc under there. I really don't wanna end up in a hospital from
inhaling all that....

Wear a respirator and use a long handles ice scraper.

Methinks I'd probably need a supplied-air unit, with my allergies. That and
borrow one of those window exhaust fans from the FD. I'm gonna start calling
around and see what the flooring and abatement companies would charge.

aem sends....