Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shop vac that doesn't pump dust?

Finally trying to clean out the 20+ years of dirt and dust in the basement,
so I can try to get it halfway organized. There used to be a garage bay down
there, and I had some concrete cutting done last year for furnace swapout.
In the old garage and where the concrete dust was, the shop vac did a good
imitation of a smoke machine- the stuff pumped right through the foam filter
ring around the motor can. Couldn't see across room, layer of dust on
everything, and asthma kicked in within a few minutes. The vac is
second-hand cheap junk, but it sucks well. Anybody know a source for, or how
to fabricate, a filter cylinder or bag, that will actually slow dust down?
Hopefully cheap enough that I can have several on hand, and rotate them as
they get plugged up? Idea being that I could then take all the filters
outside, hose them clean, and they would be dry in time for the next
project?

Related question- anybody know a good way to strip old striped foam-backed
basement carpet? I pulled back a corner, and it looks like a layer of talc
under there. I really don't wanna end up in a hospital from inhaling all
that.... (The truck-mounted rig a duct-cleaning company uses comes to mind,
but I assume they would charge a fortune, if they would even do it.)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If you're serious about a vac that doesn't emit dust, get a central vac with
an exhaust to the outside. They work great, and are less expensive than you
would expect

"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Finally trying to clean out the 20+ years of dirt and dust in the basement,
so I can try to get it halfway organized. There used to be a garage bay down
there, and I had some concrete cutting done last year for furnace swapout.
In the old garage and where the concrete dust was, the shop vac did a good
imitation of a smoke machine- the stuff pumped right through the foam filter
ring around the motor can. Couldn't see across room, layer of dust on
everything, and asthma kicked in within a few minutes. The vac is
second-hand cheap junk, but it sucks well. Anybody know a source for, or how
to fabricate, a filter cylinder or bag, that will actually slow dust down?

No fabrication necessary. Just get a filter that the vac originally
came with. The foam is not it. The foam piece is supposed to go over
the pleated paper filter.

There are also washable pleated filters for most models. They are about
$30 but last a long time.

Rob

Hopefully cheap enough that I can have several on hand, and rotate them as
they get plugged up? Idea being that I could then take all the filters
outside, hose them clean, and they would be dry in time for the next
project?

Related question- anybody know a good way to strip old striped foam-backed
basement carpet? I pulled back a corner, and it looks like a layer of talc
under there. I really don't wanna end up in a hospital from inhaling all
that.... (The truck-mounted rig a duct-cleaning company uses comes to mind,
but I assume they would charge a fortune, if they would even do it.)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 01:13:55 GMT, "aemeijers"
wrote:

Finally trying to clean out the 20+ years of dirt and dust in the basement,
so I can try to get it halfway organized. There used to be a garage bay down
there, and I had some concrete cutting done last year for furnace swapout.
In the old garage and where the concrete dust was, the shop vac did a good
imitation of a smoke machine- the stuff pumped right through the foam filter
ring around the motor can.

You're supposed to use a paper filter also when vacuuming dry stuff.

Couldn't see across room, layer of dust on
everything, and asthma kicked in within a few minutes. The vac is
second-hand cheap junk, but it sucks well. Anybody know a source for, or how
to fabricate, a filter cylinder or bag, that will actually slow dust down?

What brand. If it's shop vac or made by shop vac, they sell filters.
If it's Ridgid, they sell them too, maybe the same filters iirc.

There are special small hole (my term) filters for soot. I'm not sure
if you need that for what your describing or not, but I got them at
Lowes, I think. HD sells Ridgid brand vacs and only a few accessories
that fit Shop VAc.

I used mine special filters to vacuum inside my oil furnace,
includring the firebox as best I could, and the flue and the place
where they connect (which was clogged with things that looked like
charcoal, as big as marbles, but would break into small pieces when I
squeezed them. Made out of partially burned oil I guess. I didn't see
a bit of dust come out.

The very smallest shop vacs won't accept these filters. You have to
have the vacs where the hose enters the bucket, not the removeable top
of the vac. Now I recall that the these low-diameter filters don't go
on over the foam tube. They slip into a bracket and are held in place
when the input tube is slid into its holder in the bucket. They are
U-shaped tubes that wrap around the motor and the input hole is in the
middle.

I bought my vac at Pep-Boys, it was about 50 dollars. I still have
the small one, so I put the big one in storage until I need to clean
the furnace again.

I'm not sure if you need these special filters or not for what you are
doing, but you can't expect the foam to filter dust. It's only to
protect the motor when you are sucking in water and stuff.

Hopefully cheap enough that I can have several on hand, and rotate them as
they get plugged up? Idea being that I could then take all the filters
outside, hose them clean, and they would be dry in time for the next
project?

Related question- anybody know a good way to strip old striped foam-backed
basement carpet? I pulled back a corner, and it looks like a layer of talc

I have that everytime I take up any of my bathroom rugs. Isn't that
just dried foam rubber, not talc at all. (which is the same
chemically as asbestos but not the same physically. Isn't it the
physcial properties of asbestos that make it dangerous? Isn't talc
still used for massages and babies, not dangerous at all? Or am I
wrong about that?)

Try sci.chemistry , I guess.

under there. I really don't wanna end up in a hospital from inhaling all
that....

And you could wear a mask, a simple dust mask or a fancier one.

(The truck-mounted rig a duct-cleaning company uses comes to mind,
but I assume they would charge a fortune, if they would even do it.)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
The vac is second-hand cheap junk, but it sucks well. Anybody know a
source for, or how to fabricate, a filter cylinder or bag, that will
actually slow dust down? Hopefully cheap enough that I can have several on
hand, and rotate them as they get plugged up? Idea being that I could then
take all the filters outside, hose them clean, and they would be dry in
time for the next project?

They make a pleated filter that is washable and will control fine dust
http://www.shopvac.com/list.asp?ids=...lter+Selection

www.shopvac.com

Related question- anybody know a good way to strip old striped foam-backed
basement carpet? I pulled back a corner, and it looks like a layer of talc
under there. I really don't wanna end up in a hospital from inhaling all
that....

Wear a respirator and use a long handles ice scraper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Depending on the age of the vac, it may not have had a pleated filer
cartridge. I have an old (80's) shop vac that does not have a pleated filter
or the ability to use one. The foam filter on these older units is there to
provide support for a filter bag. I have found them at Wal-Mart, Lowe's and
Home Depot. My unit originally came with a cloth filter bag but it was not
very good at filtering dust.

Look for the paper filter bags at a Shop-Vac dealer. They are held in place
by either a large rubber band or a plastic ring.

--
Gordon Parks
"trainfan1" wrote in message
et...
aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

the stuff pumped right through the foam filter
ring around the motor can.

BTW, the less expensive paper filters, the ones not for soot, are
circle shapped. They go on flat along the bottom of the cage, and
then wrinkle as put around the foam filter. They are held on by a
plastic ring (whhere the cross section is a quarter round) for
shop-vac, and a thick rubber band for Ridgid.

If you have the ring, you can buy a bad of filters for a dollar less
at Walmart. If you need a ring, you can buy a bag at Lowes with the
plastic ring, or iirc and HD with the rubber band ring. I like the
plastic ring better, but if for some reason, I want to store one
outside of the machine, the rubber band takes less space. I can't
remember why I once wanted to store one outside the machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:29:08 -0400, trainfan1
wrote:

l. Anybody know a source for, or how
to fabricate, a filter cylinder or bag, that will actually slow dust down?

No fabrication necessary. Just get a filter that the vac originally
came with. The foam is not it. The foam piece is supposed to go over
the pleated paper filter.

Are you sure? I sort of assumed the paper filter circle went over
the foam. Wouldn't putting the foam over paper likely rip the paper?

There are also washable pleated filters for most models. They are about
$30 but last a long time.

I forgot about that one.

But are you saying tghere are three kinds, the circle, a pleated one,
and the washable pleated one? I thought there was only one pleated
one, washable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"aemeijers" wrote in message
The vac is second-hand cheap junk, but it sucks well. Anybody know a
source for, or how to fabricate, a filter cylinder or bag, that will
actually slow dust down? Hopefully cheap enough that I can have several
on hand, and rotate them as they get plugged up? Idea being that I could
then take all the filters outside, hose them clean, and they would be dry
in time for the next project?

They make a pleated filter that is washable and will control fine dust
http://www.shopvac.com/list.asp?ids=...lter+Selection

www.shopvac.com

Wow. Cheapest one on there costs more than I have in the entire machine, and
none of them (on a quick read) look washable. I was using 'shop vac'
generically, but I just went downstairs and looked, and it is an actual Shop
Vac brand shop vac, model 600C. Pretty old, judging by the metal collection
can. Guess I'll have to ponder this, and maybe try and see what I can rig up
with some filter media and giant rubber bands.

Related question- anybody know a good way to strip old striped
foam-backed basement carpet? I pulled back a corner, and it looks like a
layer of talc under there. I really don't wanna end up in a hospital from
inhaling all that....

Wear a respirator and use a long handles ice scraper.

Methinks I'd probably need a supplied-air unit, with my allergies. That and
borrow one of those window exhaust fans from the FD. I'm gonna start calling
around and see what the flooring and abatement companies would charge.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:41:17 -0400, mm
wrote:

The very smallest shop vacs won't accept these filters. You have to
have the vacs where the hose enters the bucket, not the removeable top
of the vac. Now I recall that the these low-diameter filters don't go
on over the foam tube. They slip into a bracket and are held in place
when the input tube is slid into its holder in the bucket. They are
U-shaped tubes that wrap around the motor and the input hole is in the
middle.

Based on Edwin's post, Shop-vac doesnb't seem to make these. Maybe
they stopped in t he 9 months since I bought my bag of 3 filters, or
maybe it was a 3rd party that made them. HD sells 3rd party filters
that fit both ridgid and shopvac. I went to so many stores looking
for the perfect vac, that I don't remember everything anymore. (inc.
also sears and Target I think. Most sold shop-vacs in the local
store's colors.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

l. Anybody know a source for, or how
to fabricate, a filter cylinder or bag, that will actually slow dust
down?

No fabrication necessary. Just get a filter that the vac originally
came with. The foam is not it. The foam piece is supposed to go over
the pleated paper filter.

Are you sure? I sort of assumed the paper filter circle went over
the foam. Wouldn't putting the foam over paper likely rip the paper?

There are also washable pleated filters for most models. They are
about $30 but last a long time.

I forgot about that one.

But are you saying tghere are three kinds, the circle, a pleated one,
and the washable pleated one? I thought there was only one pleated
one, washable.

the foam filter is for WET vacuuming;for dry,you use a pleated paper filter
or a filter bag that fits in the tub.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
If you're serious about a vac that doesn't emit dust, get a central vac
with an exhaust to the outside. They work great, and are less expensive
than you would expect

Think 'job site' vac. This is dirt that predates my owning the house- after
2 years, I am finally getting around to unpacking and setting up the rooms
where I dropped all the crates when I got here.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

"aemeijers" wrote in message
The vac is second-hand cheap junk, but it sucks well. Anybody know a
source for, or how to fabricate, a filter cylinder or bag, that will
actually slow dust down? Hopefully cheap enough that I can have several
on hand, and rotate them as they get plugged up? Idea being that I could
then take all the filters outside, hose them clean, and they would be dry
in time for the next project?

They make a pleated filter that is washable and will control fine dust
http://www.shopvac.com/list.asp?ids=...lter+Selection

www.shopvac.com

Wow. Cheapest one on there costs more than I have in the entire machine, and

Despite the ones on that page, I'm sure they still selll the paper
circles.

Plus did you see on the right hand side

http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=157

3 for 9 dollars. Only fits 5-8 gallons. How big is yours. I don't
know what 600C means.

You may even be able to get the high filtration bags, at only a little
more.

Try this page:
http://www.shopvac.com/filter_guide.asp
and this one
http://www.shopvac.com/accessories.asp

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I understand what you have, a crappy shop vac and asthma. All those things,
regardless of the filter type, put particles back into the room. You want
clean air, get a central vac that exhausts to the outside

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
If you're serious about a vac that doesn't emit dust, get a central vac
with an exhaust to the outside. They work great, and are less expensive
than you would expect

Think 'job site' vac. This is dirt that predates my owning the house-
after 2 years, I am finally getting around to unpacking and setting up the
rooms where I dropped all the crates when I got here.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 07:30:46 -0400, RBM wrote:

I understand what you have, a crappy shop vac and asthma. All those things,
regardless of the filter type, put particles back into the room. You want
clean air, get a central vac that exhausts to the outside

Or get a long hose and put the shopvac outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in
:

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
If you're serious about a vac that doesn't emit dust, get a central
vac with an exhaust to the outside. They work great, and are less
expensive than you would expect

Think 'job site' vac. This is dirt that predates my owning the house-
after 2 years, I am finally getting around to unpacking and setting
up the rooms where I dropped all the crates when I got here.

aem sends...

IIRC,there are HEPA filters made for ShopVacs.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

The vac is second-hand cheap junk, but it sucks well.
Anybody know a source for, or how to fabricate, a filter
cylinder or bag, that will actually slow dust down?

Is it an actual "Shop Vac" brand vacuum? What size is the tank?

Most shop vacuums have a foam filter that is mostly for sucking up
liquids.

If you vacuum dry items, there's usually either a paper bag that slides
over the foam filter and is held in place with a rubber band, or there's
an actual pleated filter that slides in place and is held in place with a
screw-on cap.

The pleated filters come in various filtration ratings (how small of a
particle they block), but tend to be fairly expensive ($15 and up) and
clog up rather quickly.

If your Shop Vac is 12 gallons or larger, you can buy large filtration
bags that wrap around the inside of the tank and attach to the incoming
hose port. These are more affordable (typically 3 bags for $15) and last
a LOT longer than the other filters (though I leave the original filters
in place when I use the bag). The bags also make emptying a lot cleaner
and easier. When the bag is full, just take it out and throw it in the
trash. Sure beats dumping the can with dust flying everywhere.

The filtration bags are typically available in "Fine" and "Medium"
particle ratings, at any of the home centers (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.). I
use the fine bags for vacuuming saw dust and cold ashes from our
woodstove, and have never had a problem with dust coming back out.

Of course, if you can't find bags or filters for your vacuum, maybe it's
time to upgrade to a new Shop Vac? Just a thought...

anybody know a good way to strip old striped foam-backed basement

carpet? it looks like a layer of talc under there.

I've never done it but you could seal off the space with plastic, put on
goggles and a face mask, and have one person vacuum the dust as you pull
back the carpet slowly.

Another option might be to wet it down first. It would keep the dust
down, but would make the carpet heavier. Cut it into small pieces to take
it out. Then scoop up whatever wet goop is remaining with a flat shovel.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]

What does the filter element of your unit look like? If you are
missing the paper filter that goes over the foam pad, you will have
exactly the symptoms you described. The paper filters, and the ring to
hold it in place if you don't have that, should be pretty cheap.

After you get it working, check the filter frequently. I find that the
ring works its way loose over time, making the problem happen again.

I had one freeby vac I picked up that didn't have the ring or filter.
I had a spare filter, so I cut the top ring off a nursery flower pot
that was the right size for a new ring.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.shopvac.com/list.asp?ids=...,320,296,256,1...

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

buy a new shop vac that can be used as a blower, then attach some
hoses and exhaust the air outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

buy a new shop vac that can be used as a blower, then attach some
hoses and exhaust the air outside.

Seems a little excessive if all he needs is a properly installed
filter to do what he needs.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
I understand what you have, a crappy shop vac and asthma. All those things,
regardless of the filter type, put particles back into the room. You want
clean air, get a central vac that exhausts to the outside

You say install a central vac for a one-time job? Yeah, right.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, all! It'll have to wait for this weekend before I can take the thing
outside and feildstrip it enough to blow the dust out with leaf blower from
upwind side, measure the guts, and go to the store and see if any of the
cloth bag or paper disc filters will fit. Lowes web site looked promising.
None of the industrial supply houses around here are open after my normal
working hours. I'm pretty sure none of the cartridge filters that look like
truck air filters will fit- mine has no fittings for that locking disk or
ring the pictures show.

The one I have is OLD. 600C model number is not even listed on their web
page. Metal can, not plastic, looks about 6? gallons. Intake and outgo holes
in top, not in side. 1.5 hp. From the styling, early 80s at the newest.
Yeah, I probably need a new one, but as long as this one still sucks, and I
can rig some sort of dust filter up, well... It works great on normal dirt,
it is just the fine stuff like rust/drywall/concrete powder that put it in
smoke generator mode.

And as to the carpet- hiring someone is looking better and better.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 8:30 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:
[...]

I have some really old mini shop vac (actiually Genie Jet Vacs) they
sell filters with "bottoms" rather than the sealing disc.

The ones wil the sealing discs have too large ID to fit my vacs

check out this filter....they give the ID as 5 3/4"

if your filter receiver is about that size (or slightly smaller) a
friction fit will work great.

http://www.cleanstream.com/store/3313209067.html

as long as you can get good filters for your shop vac why get a new
one?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

I wonder if any automotive air filters would work for him?
He might have to make a retainer.

But I also wonder why he can't netsearch for the proper ShopVac parts/data.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
You could start a new trend, and vacuum your house regularly

I'm trying to reclaim a basically abandoned basement here. I stacked crates
down there when I moved in two years ago, and haven't really used the space
for anything since then. Once I get the place sanitized, then yes, it will
be cleaned regularly. It won't have carpet, so a broom will do it nicely.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

My thought exactly. Yeah, I waste a little time chasing geese, but nobody
pays me after 5 pm and on weekends anyway.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
BobK207 wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

I tried. Mine is too old, and not listed on their web site, that I can find.
(my cars have the same problem- they usually have fallen out of the book.)

aem sends.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Someone wrote:
No fabrication necessary. Just get a filter that the vac originally
came with. The foam is not it. The foam piece is supposed to go over
the pleated paper filter.

There are also washable pleated filters for most models. They are about
$30 but last a long time.

..
That's odd; the paper filter on mine goes 'over' the foam which
supports and prevents it from collapsing inwards into the sort of
basket thing below the motor????? Paper filters clog rather easily;
e.g. plaster dust etc. Just thought I'd ask?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 3:31 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message

... You could start a new trend, and vacuum your house regularly

I'm trying to reclaim a basically abandoned basement here. I stacked crates
down there when I moved in two years ago, and haven't really used the space
for anything since then. Once I get the place sanitized, then yes, it will
be cleaned regularly. It won't have carpet, so a broom will do it nicely.

aem sends...

Having "reclaimed" abandoned / neglected space myself....I would
suggest trying to gently sweep up some of the dirt if possible.

The less material run through the vacuum....less dust generated

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I take a craftsman wet/dry vac and have a real long hose.
Then I remove the internal filter. The vac is placed outside turned
on.
I take the hose inside and go to town. Sucks everything outside and
doesnt
clog the vac. Works real well. I got the 20' hose from sears.

On Jun 17, 9:13 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I take a craftsman wet/dry vac and have a real long hose.
Then I remove the internal filter. The vac is placed outside
turned
on.
I take the hose inside and go to town. Sucks everything outside
and
doesnt
clog the vac. Works real well. I got the 20' hose from sears.

Untill something catches in the impeller and drags the motor to a
screeching halt.

You probably do get really good suction.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" writes:

I tried. Mine is too old, and not listed on their web site, that I can find.
(my cars have the same problem- they usually have fallen out of the book.)

Just because it's not in the cross reference doesn't mean that you can't
get filters for it. Last time I looked, the filter mount on almost all
Shop-Vacs was the same, and took the same size foam filter / bag /
pleated filter. You want a filter that has an opening on one end but is
sealed by a metal or plastic cover on the other end, and whose opening
is a snug fit to your vac's filter area. It will take some force to
push it on.

Shop-Vacs are common enough that you can find third-party filters. For
example, Gore (the Gore-tex people) make a filter called CleanStream
that removes even extremely fine dust from the air.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik writes:

I take a craftsman wet/dry vac and have a real long hose.
Then I remove the internal filter. The vac is placed outside turned
on.
I take the hose inside and go to town. Sucks everything outside and
doesnt
clog the vac. Works real well. I got the 20' hose from sears.

but you are pulling dirt into your vac's MOTOR,it's not good for it.
Filters keep the dust from ruining your motor bearings/brush contacts.

That's true for ordinary household vacuums, which run the dirt pickup
air through the motor (after the filter) for cooling. But all of the
shop vacs I've ever looked at have a separate path for motor cooling
air. Motor cooling air comes from the space around the motor via slots.

You really need this change in construction for vacuuming up water. The
filter for water pickup (particularly if it's just a foam sleeve, not a
pleated filter) lets some water through, and you don't want water inside
your motor no matter how briefly. Also, shop vacs normally have a float
valve so when the tank fills up with water the float blocks the impeller
inlet instead of having the vacuum start spewing water out the outlet
port. Once this happens, there's no air flow at all through the tank,
but the motor still needs cooling air. Again, a separate motor cooling
air path solves this problem.

Good central vacs for houses also seem to use separate motor cooling
air, though I've seen one that cooled the motor with the filtered air.
If you throttled the air flow by putting a small nozzle on it, the motor
would overheat and trip a thermal protector after a few minutes on that
particular unit.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave Martindale" wrote in message
"aemeijers" writes:

I tried. Mine is too old, and not listed on their web site, that I can
find.
(my cars have the same problem- they usually have fallen out of the book.)

Just because it's not in the cross reference doesn't mean that you can't
get filters for it. Last time I looked, the filter mount on almost all
Shop-Vacs was the same, and took the same size foam filter / bag /
pleated filter. You want a filter that has an opening on one end but is
sealed by a metal or plastic cover on the other end, and whose opening
is a snug fit to your vac's filter area. It will take some force to
push it on.

Shop-Vacs are common enough that you can find third-party filters. For
example, Gore (the Gore-tex people) make a filter called CleanStream
that removes even extremely fine dust from the air.

My plan is to field-strip the thing Saturday, diagram out the bottom side of
the lid, and take all that and a tape measure down to the big-box. Hopefully
I'll find something that fits, or can be made to. (I figure the borg would
get cranky if I carry the lid and motor into the store and start
test-fitting stuff.)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
news
My plan is to field-strip the thing Saturday, diagram out the bottom
side of the lid, and take all that and a tape measure down to the
big-box. Hopefully I'll find something that fits, or can be made to.
(I figure the borg would get cranky if I carry the lid and motor
into the store and start test-fitting stuff.)

Just take the top of the vac to the store. Then you can't go wrong.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik writes:

[...]

There's still the issue of chunks sticking in the blower, stopping it
or throwing it off balance, or just plugging it up over time.

Bob