Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adapter plug for a 230 volt 4 prong Dryer Outlet to a 230 volt 3 prong Outlet

Danger! Buying a four prong plug / whip adds a neutral.....

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: wrote:
: Hey,
: I just recently purchased a used Asko washing machine, and as
it has
: an onboard water heater, it requires that I plug it into a
230 volt
: outlet. The only 230 volt outlet in the room is for the
dryer. So,
: I'd like to make an adapter cord that goes from the 230 volt
dryer
: plug (which has a red and black hot, white neutral and a
ground wire)
: to a 3 pronged 230 volt plug end. Now I know that the red
and black
: are wired to the left and right prongs, but what I'm not 100%
sure of
: is the ground. Do I wire into the white neutral from the
dryer plug
: or to the ground wire of the dryer plug?
:
: Thanks for any help in advance.
:
: This is my first time using the Google groups, if there is a
more
: appropriate group that I should be posting this question to,
please
: let me know.
:
: See if you can't just buy a 4-prong dryer cord assembly and
rewire the
: washing machine. The hookup should be pretty simple as all you
are
: adding is a ground wire which would properly be attached to the
washer
: metal frame at a convenient place. From your post it appears
that you
: would be plugging in each appliance separately for use, but
that seems
: rather inconvenient.
: Whatever, keep grounds and neutrals totally independent of one
: another...they serve different purposes. HTH
:
: Joe
: