Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Defogging double pane windows

On Jun 17, 10:40 pm, Harry K wrote:
On Jun 17, 11:54 am, "EXT" wrote:

"Harry K" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jun 16, 9:52 am, Reed wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this outfit ??

http://www.defogit.com/

Ads appearing in local paper for what appears to be a franchise
operation that has a method of cleaning fogged-up windows without
replacing glass.

Anyone tried this ?? Pricing ?? Effectiveness ??

--reed

Havign gone the "replace the glass section" route and seeing just how
those things are built I say that that company is selling smoke and
mirrors. I have also cut apart one section for a couple big green
house glazing sections. There is no way they can find and seal
whatevere leaked to begin with. Best they could do would be.

1. remove the section.
2. insert some sort of sealant.
3. rotate the section several times to make the sealant cover the
seal on all four sides.
4. disappear fast before the window fogs again.

Harry K

I agree, having replace some foggy double sealed units, one had the entire
side with no adhesion between the glass and the separator. There is no way
they could be resealed in place. I have a factory that makes up low E, argon
filled high quality units quite cheaply. Actually our local glass shop would
measure, order, obtain the units and install them for about 10 times what I
pay at the factory. Considering that I did most of the work when the local
glass shop installed them, I call it a rip-off.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know what your price was but...I had two 4x3 sections done
(one twice, they did it for free the second time). The price was very
reasonable, the installer was just one person and I had to do nothing.

You're responding to a poster who was commenting on the cost of
replacement glazing, but it seems - from your mention of a failure -
that you're talking about attempting to reseal a failed unit. I would
have thought that the immediate failure would have sent up a red flag
for you. Resealing is a hit or miss thing. Many more misses than
hits with attempted resealing.