Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Defogging double pane windows

Anyone have any experience with this outfit ??

http://www.defogit.com/

Ads appearing in local paper for what appears to be a franchise
operation that has a method of cleaning fogged-up windows without
replacing glass.

Anyone tried this ?? Pricing ?? Effectiveness ??

--reed
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Reed wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this outfit ??

http://www.defogit.com/

Ads appearing in local paper for what appears to be a franchise
operation that has a method of cleaning fogged-up windows without
replacing glass.

Anyone tried this ?? Pricing ?? Effectiveness ??

No.
No idea.
Only if they can evacuate and replace the inert gas and seal (a tall
order ) can it be anything more than temporary at best...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

--

Correction for #1 --

Not I. I'm sure _someone_ has.

Posted to alt.home.repair

local glass shops can make new glass sealed units. the one i use take
in by 8 am pick up at 4 pm. you take in the effected window section,
they are experts at disassembling vinly frames

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 12:52 pm, Reed wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this outfit ??

http://www.defogit.com/

Ads appearing in local paper for what appears to be a franchise
operation that has a method of cleaning fogged-up windows without
replacing glass.

Anyone tried this ?? Pricing ?? Effectiveness ??

I told a client that the procedure is iffy at best. He took his
chances, didn't work.

Replacements are relatively cheap and come with, usually, a ten year
guarantee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 9:52 am, Reed wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this outfit ??

http://www.defogit.com/

Ads appearing in local paper for what appears to be a franchise
operation that has a method of cleaning fogged-up windows without
replacing glass.

Anyone tried this ?? Pricing ?? Effectiveness ??

--reed

Havign gone the "replace the glass section" route and seeing just how
those things are built I say that that company is selling smoke and
mirrors. I have also cut apart one section for a couple big green
house glazing sections. There is no way they can find and seal
whatevere leaked to begin with. Best they could do would be.

1. remove the section.
2. insert some sort of sealant.
3. rotate the section several times to make the sealant cover the
seal on all four sides.
4. disappear fast before the window fogs again.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 16, 9:52 am, Reed wrote:
[...]

I agree, having replace some foggy double sealed units, one had the entire
side with no adhesion between the glass and the separator. There is no way
they could be resealed in place. I have a factory that makes up low E, argon
filled high quality units quite cheaply. Actually our local glass shop would
measure, order, obtain the units and install them for about 10 times what I
pay at the factory. Considering that I did most of the work when the local
glass shop installed them, I call it a rip-off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 11:54 am, "EXT" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 16, 9:52 am, Reed wrote:
[...]

glass shop installed them, I call it a rip-off.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know what your price was but...I had two 4x3 sections done
(one twice, they did it for free the second time). The price was very
reasonable, the installer was just one person and I had to do nothing.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 10:40 pm, Harry K wrote:
On Jun 17, 11:54 am, "EXT" wrote:

"Harry K" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jun 16, 9:52 am, Reed wrote:
[...]

You're responding to a poster who was commenting on the cost of
replacement glazing, but it seems - from your mention of a failure -
that you're talking about attempting to reseal a failed unit. I would
have thought that the immediate failure would have sent up a red flag
for you. Resealing is a hit or miss thing. Many more misses than
hits with attempted resealing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 7:59 pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 17, 10:40 pm, Harry K wrote:

On Jun 17, 11:54 am, "EXT" wrote:

"Harry K" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jun 16, 9:52 am, Reed wrote:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

Hmmm...I see where the confusion lies. I wasn't clear. My post was
in reference to someone hoveing it done right (by a glass outfit), not
the 'reseal scam".

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote on 18 Jun 2007 in group
alt.home.repair:

Hmmm...I see where the confusion lies. I wasn't clear. My post was
in reference to someone hoveing it done right (by a glass outfit),
not the 'reseal scam".

Harry K

Here's a summary of the resealing process:
1. Separate the existing glass from the aluminum frame.
2. Remove the adhesive that held the glass to the frame.
3. Clean the glass.
4. Remove the adhesive from the aluminum frame.
5. Assemble the two pieces of glass with the frame, with moisture-free
air inside.
6. Apply a sealer around the edges to stop air leaks.

To make a new pane assembly, just do steps 5 and 6.

Anything other than a complete disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly
qualifies as a "reseal scam", because it doesn't remove the existing air
with moisture in it, and it doesn't get rid of the deposits on the
glass.

Steps 1 and 2 have a good chance of breaking the glass. Step 4 has a
good chance of ruining the frame. Two pieces of 2 mm glass are worth a
few bucks if you buy it by the truckload.

It's not worth paying the labor for steps 1 through 4, especially if the
parts are ruined, when a new pane is so cheap.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement