Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Shop vac that doesn't pump dust?

If you're serious about a vac that doesn't emit dust, get a central vac with
an exhaust to the outside. They work great, and are less expensive than you
would expect

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Finally trying to clean out the 20+ years of dirt and dust in the
basement, so I can try to get it halfway organized. There used to be a
garage bay down there, and I had some concrete cutting done last year for
furnace swapout. In the old garage and where the concrete dust was, the
shop vac did a good imitation of a smoke machine- the stuff pumped right
through the foam filter ring around the motor can. Couldn't see across
room, layer of dust on everything, and asthma kicked in within a few
minutes. The vac is second-hand cheap junk, but it sucks well. Anybody
know a source for, or how to fabricate, a filter cylinder or bag, that
will actually slow dust down? Hopefully cheap enough that I can have
several on hand, and rotate them as they get plugged up? Idea being that I
could then take all the filters outside, hose them clean, and they would
be dry in time for the next project?

Related question- anybody know a good way to strip old striped foam-backed
basement carpet? I pulled back a corner, and it looks like a layer of talc
under there. I really don't wanna end up in a hospital from inhaling all
that.... (The truck-mounted rig a duct-cleaning company uses comes to
mind, but I assume they would charge a fortune, if they would even do it.)

aem sends...