Tom Gardner

Default Is Drill Doctor worth the price????

Let me preface my post by saying: It is better to only have to touch-up a
drill bit by hand. I touch-up every drill just before I use it. I don't
like to do a major re-grind by hand and use a cheap fixture from Snap-on
when I do the 50 ea. 9/32" drills in a multi-head when they get dull. The
little bits, 1/8", get tossed.

--
There are only 10 kinds of people...Those that understand binary and
those that don't.
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ink.net...

Learn to sharpen drills by hand, it's quick, easy and free

No doubt, this is mandatory to know. Do a google search with the author
"teenut" and bionic drill sharpener for the BEST ever discussion of how to
do it.

That said, a drill grinder does a better job of making both flutes the

exact
same length and geometry. If one side is different the drill will drill
oversize in most cases. I have a Darex M4 drill grinder that I use for all
drills under 3/4" - just as fast as by hand and does a perfect job. I do
"touch up" the cutting edge by hand or make nonstandard drill point tapers
by hand.

As to the drill doctor, I don't won one. There have been many many posts
with pro and con opinions. My conclusion is that this is a light duty
sharpener, probably worth the price, but don't expect professional

results.

Karl