Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating A/C copper line outside

The large line runs from the house to the compressor.

Heat going into the large line doesn't "add to the cooling", it
actually detracts from it. Yes, heat going into the large line
does reduce the efficiency.

You've got a bit to learn. The outdoor foam is designed to be
used outdoors. Indoor pipe wrap isn't the same. That to learn,
also.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"RichK" wrote in message
:
: Yes. I'm not sure that exposing a couple of feet of suction
line will
: affect the efficiency so much, but it's normally insulated.
Perhaps to keep
: it protected from the elements and reduce oxidation.
:
: I can see that inside the house, the reason to insulate may be
mostly to
: avoid dripping all over the place. Any heat absorbed by that
line (inside
: the house) just adds to cooling and does not lower efficiency.
:
: Regards,
:
: RichK